• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

california whatis the statue of limitations on child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

toni thrasher

I live in Oregon but have a large arrearage($32,000.00) due
from my x in Texas. After nearly six years Texas has finally
taken him to court and reduced the amount he owes by 75% and
started the interest over again! I was under the impression
that the amount of support could be reviewed and decreased on current support but not on arrearages. He has paid nothing since 1989. The last date of current support was for
January.1993. Can Texas say the support ordered from California and in arrears for so long can be 75% decreased?
What if any recourse do I have in this extremely unfair and arbitrary decision? I understood there to be a law that
child support should be collected according to the state the
order is from and that there is no statue of limitations in
California. Please help me.

L

LadyBlu

You need to appeal TX's ruling. TX law allows for any interest that has accrued on the arrears to be dismissed with the agreement of the petitioner(state) and the obligee. If you did not get notified of this, and was not in agreement, TX cannot just dismiss the arrears that has accumulated. Unfortunately, when one state requests another state to enforce their support orders, then the state doing the enforcements statutes go into affect. You can contact the CA child support offices and see about pursuing through their courts instead of TX and possibly get TX ruling thrown out. I would highly recommend contacting the DA in CA, or even a private atty to verify that this was legal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">