• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Calling him "Daddy"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Banned_Princess

its a personal decission. I for one would just deal with it. makes kid happy, only hurting my feelings, I would have to ignore my jelousy, and smile and nod when it is bothering the shiznit out of me.

chronicle

OP- this isn't a legal answer to your post, but a rule of thumb I have learned to live by specifically so I don't go INSANE trying to fight every little battle with my ex.

If he only reason I want to fight the ex on something is that it makes me angry, then it isn't ultimately worth it. If it isn't hurting kiddo, but just annoying me, not worth fighting over. Think about it really- is calling someone else "dad" when he KNOWS you are his Dad... is that really harming kid? Then it may be better for kiddo if you let it go.

I'mTheFather

i don't know, I think this is clearly a personal story...
Okay, Amoco, let me explain. In OHRW's post, he talks about his stepdaughter. She calls both him and her father, 'Dad ____", and she's done that for 15 years.

My step daughter calls me daddy "my name" and her real father daddy "his name". It has been like that for about 15 years. My issue with this, if any, is they are not married yet. What if he leaves.
Then he switches to the issue in the thread:

My issue with this, if any, is they are not married yet. What if he leaves.
If that was part of his personal story, then who is he talking about? OH is clearly married to the mom. Doesn't matter if dad is married.

See? :)

Banned_Princess

Okay, Amoco, let me explain. In OHRW's post, he talks about his stepdaughter. She calls both him and her father, 'Dad ____", and she's done that for 15 years.

Then he switches to the issue in the thread:

If that was part of his personal story, then who is he talking about? OH is clearly married to the mom. Doesn't matter if dad is married.

See? :)
lmao, thanks.. i guess that makes me the dullest color in the coloring box as well :)

4theKidz

Thank you, everyone, for your responses. I did not say anything to my ex at this time, since we are in the middle of court proceedings. My son asked at one point if he could call my wife "Mom" when he was with us and I told him that he only had one Mommy but if he wanted to, he could make up a special word to refer to his step-mom or simply use her name.

I understand that to some people it is just a word and not a huge deal. However, in my situation there are numerous things being done in an attempt to push me out and limit how often I get to see my son. My lawyer actually has several documented instances that could be considered alienation and this one has been added to it.

Like I said, I do appreciate everyone's perspective on this. Although it did upset me a great deal, I was trying to take a step back and determine if it was truly something to be offended about or if I was overly sensitive due to everything else going on in my case.

4theKidz

Cfi

The judge granted my request to have a CFI assigned to my case. From what I understand, there will be individual interviews with each of the parents, other household members, significant people in the child's life and the child. The CFI will also observe the child interacting with each of the parents.

I am curious as to what types of questions will be asked of the child. I realize that anytime a child is being asked questions regarding either one of their parents, it is a delicate situation. So I was wondering how the CFI will likely explain to the child why they are talking to them and what kind of questions will be posed to them.

Any other information regarding CFI's that anyone is willing to share would be greatly appreciated.

**As a little background information. My son is 8 and his mother and I are in disagreement over a new parenting time schedule due to my move out of state. She does not agree to him traveling out of CO to visit me at my home and limits the time that I can see him even when I travel to CO in order to do so. I petitioned the court for a modification in parenting time so that I could have court ordered visitation to cover school breaks, summer, holidays, etc. If further information is needed, please feel free to ask.

MichaCA

The evaluator will no doubt explain the process he/she will use with your child when you have your interview with him/her.

Our custody evaluator said something really simple to our daughter - I'm helping your parents with some parenting questions - do you mind..

He is a clinical psychologist...is yours?

4theKidz

Ours is a licensed attorney and professional counselor who has chaired and/or co-chaired on several boards and committees.

The process is all very new and I know I will likely get more information down the road. Just seeing what I can find out before then to satisfy my curiousity.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Ours is a licensed attorney and professional counselor who has chaired and/or co-chaired on several boards and committees.

The process is all very new and I know I will likely get more information down the road. Just seeing what I can find out before then to satisfy my curiousity.
When in court, also ask about virtual parenting time to include:
phone calls
emailing
webcam access
instant messaging
and if you both have iPhones, facetime.

Be specific about minimum times, or on specific days, etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">