• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a 12 yr old make the decision to live with whichever parent they want?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lvlivin

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada

I was curious if a 12 yr old can make the decision to live with whichever parent they want? My ex (mother) and I have 50/50 shared custody. We are both allowed to make all decisions concerning his well being.
He had a tough transition when his mother and I went back to court a few years ago and has always preferred living with me. I was always under the impression when a child turned the age of 12-13 they were allowed to choose where they wanted to live, how true is that?

CSO286

I was curious if a 12 yr old can make the decision to live with whichever parent they want? My ex (mother) and I have 50/50 shared custody. We are both allowed to make all decisions concerning his well being.
He had a tough transition when his mother and I went back to court a few years ago and has always preferred living with me. I was always under the impression when a child turned the age of 12-13 they were allowed to choose where they wanted to live, how true is that?

Sure. Once he's 18.

sandyclaus

The courts are going to decide custody based on a child's best interest, and it's extremely rare that they allow a child themselves any participation in that decision.

A child always seems to think they know what's best for them. Usually, however, it's more a matter of what they PREFER, or what's easier or more comfortable for them. If they think that one parent is more strict with them, or doesn't allow them to something they want to do, or punishes them for their misbehavior, then this often influences their choices.

The bottom line is that a judge is the only one who can decide on a change in custody. They will consider all the relevant facts, but if there are no significant changes in circumstances other than a child's wish to live with the other parent, and no other good reason exists to make the change, then it's unlikely that would give good cause to make a change.

Just Blue

The only way a CHILD of 12 can "decide" is if he is parented by two morons. Really now!:rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">