• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a 13 year old make the custody choice?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hondaex

What is the name of your state? WAWhat is the name of your state? In other words, can a 13 year old make the definitive decision about where they will live regardless of parental input to the court in my state?

toribella

What is the name of your state? WAWhat is the name of your state? In other words, can a 13 year old make the definitive decision about where they will live regardless of parental input to the court in my state?
In Colorado the judge will listen to and take into account with which parent the minor would prefer to reside with at a certain age. (not sure of the exact age) You may want to check to see if that's possible, and if so, at what age in Wa.

LdiJ

The only state that allows a child to make a definitive choice (at 14) is GA. However many other states will allow a child to express a preference, and the judge decides how much weight, if any, to give that preference. Get a consult with a local attorney to find out how much weight your local judges give to a child's preference.

Just Blue

In Colorado the judge will listen to and take into account with which parent the minor would prefer to reside with at a certain age. (not sure of the exact age) You may want to check to see if that's possible, and if so, at what age in Wa.
Either look up the law for the specific state in question or don't bother posting. OP is not in CO, he/she is in WA. If s/he KNEW how to find out this information s/he would not have posted here.

hondaex

I do know in WA, for example, that a parent can not place a 13 or older child into a residential treatment facility without the child's consent. I've been told the only guaranteed way to do that is to transfer guardianship to someone in another state with stronger parental laws, usually someone from the facility in question and often in Idaho. It seemed by extension to me that perhaps children in general could choose where they want to live here. My fiance's ex is threatening to take her children away. There is a decent chance they would choose to be with him. He showers them with money and video games, but there are many reasons this would be detrimental that we at least believe a reasonable judge would take into consideration.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Tori, this OP is not in COlorado. Hence Colorado DOES NOT MATTER. Quit posting.

Bloopy

I've been told the only guaranteed way to do that is to transfer guardianship to someone in another state with stronger parental laws.
This is called forum shopping and it is not tolerated by the courts for this very reason.

If you don't like the answer Mommy give you, you may not go ask Daddy. Naughty, naughty.

hondaex

I don't understand the posting by Bloopy. Is it some sort of cut against me, or my fiance as the parent, or is it merely a comment that the child can't just go to the parent willing to overlook serious problems affecting the child that the current custodial parent is trying to address in a way the child is not particularly excited about?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Nope, the kid doesn't choose. IF the judge chooses to listen to the kid, "I want to live with X parent because s/he has no rules and gives me money" will not be a reason that impresses the judge.

And please - do not listen to tori's advice - she is legally incorrect most of the time.

Silverplum

These remarks? Not allowed.
It's simply stupid -- each state is different, and if you can't be *bothered* to look up the correct answer, then sit back and read. Learn a little. It won't kill you. :rolleyes:

When you signed up here to GET advice, didn't you expect valid legal info?? Then why are you giving vague, crappy answers to other posters in need?

Stop it. Now.

frylover

I don't understand the posting by Bloopy. Is it some sort of cut against me, or my fiance as the parent, or is it merely a comment that the child can't just go to the parent willing to overlook serious problems affecting the child that the current custodial parent is trying to address in a way the child is not particularly excited about?

From my reading here, I think what Bloopy is saying is that people can't "choose" a state whose custody laws they like better than the one that has jurisdiction and try to find a way to get that state to "take over"....like a kid shouldn't go ask Daddy for something if they don't like Mommy's answer.

hondaex

The Idaho reference I made earlier actually has nothing to do with our situation and perhaps I shouldn't have made it. We happen to be in a parent support group of parents with troubled kids, 2 of whom have placed children in residencial treatment schools in Idaho. We live in WA, have no intention of sending our kids to a facility in any other state, and are merely trying to figure out what our legal situation is here where we live. The Idaho situations we were aware of is just what raised the question in our minds as to whether my fiance's children could make their own choice to leave her home for their father's home because they could get away from rules and do and get what they want and were old enough in our state to make that choice. We are comfortable presenting our case before a judge. We were worried if the judge was simply bound to accept the child's choice of where they would prefer to be.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
RCW 26.10.120 states: The court may interview the child in chambers to ascertain the child's wishes as to his or her custodian and as to visitation privileges.

May. As in, "is allowed to." Not will, not shall. May.

RCW 26.10.100 states: The court shall determine custody in accordance with the best interests of the child.

While 120 leaves much to the judge's discretion, this is a directive.

Last edited:

OhReally?

And here's proof you don't know what in the hell you're talking about. You say one thing (which is DEAD FREAKING WRONG)...then you backpeddle and say "you may wanna check."

Since you're clueless, you may wanna just shut the hell up. Actually, just do it.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
The Idaho reference I made earlier actually has nothing to do with our situation and perhaps I shouldn't have made it. We happen to be in a parent support group of parents with troubled kids, 2 of whom have placed children in residencial treatment schools in Idaho. We live in WA, have no intention of sending our kids to a facility in any other state, and are merely trying to figure out what our legal situation is here where we live. The Idaho situations we were aware of is just what raised the question in our minds as to whether my fiance's children could make their own choice to leave her home for their father's home because they could get away from rules and do and get what they want and were old enough in our state to make that choice. We are comfortable presenting our case before a judge. We were worried if the judge was simply bound to accept the child's choice of where they would prefer to be.
Here's a newsflash for you. "WE" have no legal situation. "WE" do not have a case. There are no "OUR" kids as far as her children from a previous relationship go. The only ones who have any of the above are your fiancee and her ex. You are.... no one. Sorry.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">