• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a 16 year old decide?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pacarox

What is the name of your state? She lives in California

Can a 16 year old choose to leave her parents home to live with another adult in another state?

TinkerBelleLuvr

NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO

She is to listen to and obey her parents/ guardian until she reaches the age of majority. If she chooses to leave and go to an adult, that person can be charged with kidnapping! Being that you are in Nevada and the young lady is from California, that is a FEDERAL offense.

CourtClerk

We've already answered this question for you. No, you cannot take the minor across state lines in an attempt to molest her. I don't care HOW you word the question.

P

pacarox

but this doesnt make sense, when I was a child, I was told and have also heard since, that when a child reaches...(I think its 14) that the child can choose what adult they want to live with...I have read other posts on here that also refer to this scenario...so why is it that everyone keeps saying no...when other posts say yes (but the age seems to vary)...I am completely confused now.

NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO

She is to listen to and obey her parents/ guardian until she reaches the age of majority. If she chooses to leave and go to an adult, that person can be charged with kidnapping! Being that you are in Nevada and the young lady is from California, that is a FEDERAL offense.

TinkerBelleLuvr

In the case of two legal parents, they can take the 'wishes' of a child into consideration, but it is the adults who make the decision where the child lives. The CHILD gets to decide where he/she lives when they reach the age of majority.

If said CHILD chooses to run away, he/she can be detained in a juvenile detention center as an incorrigle (sic) child.

since you are not this child's parent, you have absolutely NO say on where she lives. You choose to harbor a runaway and you'll set yourself up to be incarcerated.

N

NFHnightmare

In the case of two legal parents, they can take the 'wishes' of a child into consideration, but it is the adults who make the decision where the child lives. The CHILD gets to decide where he/she lives when they reach the age of majority.

If said CHILD chooses to run away, he/she can be detained in a juvenile detention center as an incorrigle (sic) child.

since you are not this child's parent, you have absolutely NO say on where she lives. You choose to harbor a runaway and you'll set yourself up to be incarcerated.
Not only that, correct me if i'm wrong, but if an adult takes a an underage child away from it's family, isn't that considered kidnapping?

Just Blue

Not only that, correct me if i'm wrong, but if an adult takes a an underage child away from it's family, isn't that considered kidnapping?
No..Harboring a runaway ...parental interference...contributing to the delinquency of a minor....and in the case of OP PERHAPS the Mann Act....And if the OP ever figures out who or what s/he is even worse charges...

TinkerBelleLuvr

It's FEDERAL kidnapping ... lets see ... throw a little child molestation in there for good measure ...

hmmmm .... don't think we'll have to worry about this poster!:D

P

pacarox

Dirty Filthy Minds

It's FEDERAL kidnapping ... lets see ... throw a little child molestation in there for good measure ...

hmmmm .... don't think we'll have to worry about this poster!:D
I DID post this question earlier today but I waited til this evening hoping that all the retards were offline and I could get a legit answer to a legit question from someone with a brain...but I guess that is a near impossibility...I really need to say everyone needs to get their mind out of the gutter...there is no molestation, no kidnapping, no WHATEVER...what IS occurring...is this.... since everyone cant seem to make a logical response without unnecessary details and draw degrading conclusions...the situation is this...I used to live in California, I am a 51 year old foster mom and now live in Nevada. I know the family of a 16 year old girl, the girl is from a dysfunctional family, the mom is a drug user, the dad is an alcoholic abuser...the 16 year old girl wants to come live with me but I dont know what to do about it. The parents are divorced, the girl at one time had run away for 9 months and no one knew where she was or if she was dead or alive and the parents never ever tried to find her nor did they even file a missing persons report on her. Basically she is a throw-away child. I have spoken to law enforcement officials in California and all they tell me is that running away is not illegal...I am merely trying to find a way to remove this girl out of the cycle of running away, drug home, alcoholic home..

Regarding your insinuations regarding the 19 year old DUI, yes I did post this info for a next door neighbor of mine who has some trouble but he recited everything that he wanted me to post here...I became interested in this site and my own questions after I made the DUI post for him...at no time has any 19 year old ever been associated with the 16 year old...you all just draw dirty-minded, unnecessary conclusions. This little girl has slipped through the cracks and I would simply like to offer her a safe place to run to if she is going to run away anyways...she could end up prostituting, into drugs or dead...I would like to think that ...legally, there is some way that I could try and keep those horrible things from happening to her because unlike any of YOU...I care!!!!!!.

LdiJ

I DID post this question earlier today but I waited til this evening hoping that all the retards were offline and I could get a legit answer to a legit question from someone with a brain...but I guess that is a near impossibility...I really need to say everyone needs to get their mind out of the gutter...there is no molestation, no kidnapping, no WHATEVER...what IS occurring...is this.... since everyone cant seem to make a logical response without unnecessary details and draw degrading conclusions...the situation is this...I used to live in California, I am a 51 year old foster mom and now live in Nevada. I know the family of a 16 year old girl, the girl is from a dysfunctional family, the mom is a drug user, the dad is an alcoholic abuser...the 16 year old girl wants to come live with me but I dont know what to do about it. The parents are divorced, the girl at one time had run away for 9 months and no one knew where she was or if she was dead or alive and the parents never ever tried to find her nor did they even file a missing persons report on her. Basically she is a throw-away child. I have spoken to law enforcement officials in California and all they tell me is that running away is not illegal...I am merely trying to find a way to remove this girl out of the cycle of running away, drug home, alcoholic home..

Regarding your insinuations regarding the 19 year old DUI, yes I did post this info for a next door neighbor of mine who has some trouble but he recited everything that he wanted me to post here...I became interested in this site and my own questions after I made the DUI post for him...at no time has any 19 year old ever been associated with the 16 year old...you all just draw dirty-minded, unnecessary conclusions. This little girl has slipped through the cracks and I would simply like to offer her a safe place to run to if she is going to run away anyways...she could end up prostituting, into drugs or dead...I would like to think that ...legally, there is some way that I could try and keep those horrible things from happening to her because unlike any of YOU...I care!!!!!!.
When you posted something for the 19 year old, you should have explained that you were posting something for someone else....or you should have set up a separate screen name when you decided to post about your situation.

In any case, no, without her parent's permission the 16 year old cannot move in with you. If you allow her to move in with you, without her parents permission you risk major legal trouble...and likely would not be allowed to be a foster parent any longer either.

Just Blue

Yet you were asking about the AOC...Why is that if you just want to help this poor unfortunate girl??

majomom1

pacarox wrote:

I DID post this question earlier today but I waited til this evening hoping that all the retards were offline and I could get a legit answer to a legit question from someone with a brain...but I guess that is a near impossibility...

If you want a legit answer... perhaps you should ask a legit question, and give the facts so that you can get a legit answer.

As a 51 year old foster mom, I would think that you have more legal knowledge, in this situation, than most of the posters here... for any state.

I personally would expect a 51 year old, foster mom, to refrain from using the word "retard"... especially when she is looking for free advice and apparantly has no brain of her own...

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I personally would expect a 51 year old, foster mom, to refrain from using the word "retard"... especially when she is looking for free advice and apparantly has no brain of her own...
Except perhaps she's referring to herself? Pac-a-rox... in the head?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">