• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can the custodial parent remove child from the state without permission?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stephe.pearson

I live in MA & was never in a relationship or married to the mother of my 4 year old daughter. She has been in and out of detox & DCF continues to say she is a fit parent. Recently she moved my daughter to TX without my knowledge (lied and told me she was vacationing in another part of MA & said she'd have her back 3 days later). She has not come back and is now talking about staying in Texas. In the custody agreement I have visitation rights Friday-Sunday every week. Is there any way I can get her back in the state? I don't want to wait for a custody battle, I want her back home immediately. Is this custodial kidnapping? DCF said there isn't much they can do for me, I'm not sure what to do next.

Antigone*

I live in MA & was never in a relationship or married to the mother of my 4 year old daughter. She has been in and out of detox & DCF continues to say she is a fit parent. Recently she moved my daughter to TX without my knowledge (lied and told me she was vacationing in another part of MA & said she'd have her back 3 days later). She has not come back and is now talking about staying in Texas. In the custody agreement I have visitation rights Friday-Sunday every week. Is there any way I can get her back in the state? I don't want to wait for a custody battle, I want her back home immediately. Is this custodial kidnapping? DCF said there isn't much they can do for me, I'm not sure what to do next.
You should file a motion with the court to have your daughter brought back to MA. This needs to be done right away. The longer you wait, the nastier it will get.

Banned_Princess

you can only go to court to compel them to order the return of the child.

then if she doesn't, you have a whole new animal.

Just Blue

Have you actually missed a visitation, as in going to get your child and child was not available for visit? If so, you need to file a motion for contempt and possibly for an order for the child to be returned to Mass. Depending on your proof. Hire an attorney to do this if at all possible.

No. This is not kidnapping.

What does your court order say about relocation?

How long did she initially tell you she would be vacationing in Texas?

I have a feeling she is telling you that she is "thinking" about moving there to get a feel for your reaction. If you are not ok with this, you need to let her know that, and also let her know that you will be taking it to court to fight.

gam

If you had no relationship with this woman, then how is that she is the mother of your 4 year old daughter?

DCF continues to say she is a fit parent, have they been investigating allegations? How would you know the outcome of those investigations? Having an addiction and seeking treatment for that addiction does not make one an unfit parent.

Does your order state that mom needs your permission to take the child out of MA? One thing for the order to say she needs yours or the courts permission to move the child out of state, but totally different then mom taking child out of state for a visit. How long has mom been gone with the child?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">