• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can ex-boyfriend take child?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dwolf33

I have a friend who was not married to her daughter's father. He keeps threatening to take the child when he gets mad at her. How does she get custody without an attorney as she cannot afford one. She is a single mother of 3 children.

LegalBeagle

dwolf33 said:
I have a friend who was not married to her daughter's father. He keeps threatening to take the child when he gets mad at her. How does she get custody without an attorney as she cannot afford one. She is a single mother of 3 children.
She buys a 'How to' book. Then she hires a paralegal who will help her with the forms and filing. They are a lot cheaper than an attorney because they can not give legal advice, only help with the forms.

I suggest that she gets evidence of his threats and then refuses him access to the child since he is a risk to the child. Is the father on the b/c ? Does he pay Child Support ?

A

absolut

hey tell your friend that it depends on your friends location if the father of the child can take her baby away from her. but i live in Georgia and the law states that legally the mother has full custody of the child no matter if the father has signed the birth certificate. But she does need to go get a court order against him because yall are not married he cant just take the baby.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">