• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can Father Give Son To Grandmother For His Time Of Physical Placement???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

ConfusedMommy

Recently, as of June of 2001, my 2 year old son's father and I share custody of him 6 months each out of the year. When my son's father has him in his physical placement does he have to be the one that has the physical placement of the child or can he give my son to his mother (my son's grandmother) for the 6 months of placement. My son's grandmother lives 5 hours from the father, 7 hours away from me (I live in Illinois and they live in Wisconsin). The father decided to return to college and he states he is extremely busy all the time and that is why he cant call us, my son and myself. I am afraid that he thinks it is ok to give my son to his grandmother for the 6 month placement time while he is attending school. I dont want my son living with his grandmother when he has a brother at home, a soon-to-be- stepdad and a mother that he loves very much. Can the father get in trouble for giving his son to his mother (my sons grandmother) during his time for physical placement of his son??? HE IS SUPPOSED TO TAKE HIS SON IN LESS THAN A WEEK BUT I HAVE NOT HEARD FROM HIM IN TWO MONTHS....WHAT CAN I DO???

G

Grandma B

The purpose of joint physical custody is mainly to allow a child to develop close bonds with both parents. If your son's father lived with his mother, that would be different. Since he lives 5 hours from her, there is no reason for him to share physical custody. I would petition the court for a modification of custody, but that's not going to help you if his visitation begins in one week.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">