• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a father give up his parental rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jen_25

can a father give up his parental rights in the state of california? (the father rarely gets to see the child because he lives in nc)

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

jen_25 said:
can a father give up his parental rights in the state of california? (the father rarely gets to see the child because he lives in nc)

My response:

Yes.

However :

1. It must be voluntary, unless there is justifiable cause for an involuntary termination.

2. There must be someone willing to immediately adopt the child.

California does not want any child to become a financial drain on the State; i.e., it won't take a chance on releasing a parent from his / her financial responsibilities unless there is someone willing to take the releasing parent's place as far as financial responsibility is concerned.

IAAL

J

jen_25

This is in response to your answer for a father giving up parental rights. The child is in custody of the mother, so would there have to be a stepfather in the picture or can the child just stay w/ the mother and the father give up his rights?

M

MomofLogan

I am not in California, I am in Georiga, but I wanted to just warn you about something, my sons father gave up his rights, it was his decision, and my husband adopted him, now after a year, and the fact that my sons name has been changed and he has a new birth certificate, he is trying to get the adoption reversed because he is lonely, and would you believe it might actually be possible. I don't know how, but that's where I am at. I would ask a lawyer before, if its possible down the line for it to be reversed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">