• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I change my daughters last name without permission from her father?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RR218

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ga.
My daughters last name is the same as her father she is 8 years old, but my other daughter has my last name. Well, my 8 year old has been asking me to change her last name to mine because she wants the same last name as me and my other child. Her father is in and out of jail and is currently awaiting a hearin on an arson case. He will probably be in jail for a long time if convicted. Can I get her name changed without his permission. He doesn't have anything to do with her and could care less what abou her, but if I were to ask him he would say no because he is an a-hole. He doesn't want anything to do with her do to her physical disability she was born with and he is ashamed of her. He doesn't pay child support even though it is court ordered. His license has been suspended but with his illegal past that doesn't bother him. Is there something that I can do legally without him knowing? I heard that if her name change is posted in the news paper for 6 weeks with no response from him it would be legal. Is that true?

Antigone*

My daughters last name is the same as her father she is 8 years old, but my other daughter has my last name. Well, my 8 year old has been asking me to change her last name to mine because she wants the same last name as me and my other child. Her father is in and out of jail and is currently awaiting a hearin on an arson case. He will probably be in jail for a long time if convicted. Can I get her name changed without his permission. He doesn't have anything to do with her and could care less what abou her, but if I were to ask him he would say no because he is an a-hole. He doesn't want anything to do with her do to her physical disability she was born with and he is ashamed of her. He doesn't pay child support even though it is court ordered. His license has been suspended but with his illegal past that doesn't bother him. Is there something that I can do legally without him knowing? I heard that if her name change is posted in the news paper for 6 weeks with no response from him it would be legal. Is that true?
That is not exactly true. Dad has to be served. If dad's whereabouts are unknown, then service must be done by publication. Even if you get to that point, a judge will have to hear the case and will make that decision.

Silverplum

No**************..

CSO286

You cna get her name changed if the court gives permission, however dad must be notified of your intent and given time to object.

What will happen if you decide later on to (re)marry and then you and hubby have one last name, and the kids have a different one?

These days, there really isn't that much of a stigma attched to a child having a different name.

All that said,

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
From Little OG:

Your daughter is still your daughter no matter what happens or whether your last names are the same. I don't have the same last name as my mom but it is tradition that kids get their father's last name. Why is the name such a big deal?
:confused:

I love my daughter! At 10 she is brilliant!

RR218

It has nothing to do with me. She is the one who wants it changed and she should have every right to do that. He has the right to completely ignore the fact that she is his daughter. Why can't she have the right to change her name if she wants. Since when does tradition matter. Me and her father were never married.

Just Blue

From Little OG:

Your daughter is still your daughter no matter what happens or whether your last names are the same. I don't have the same last name as my mom but it is tradition that kids get their father's last name. Why is the name such a big deal?
:confused:

I love my daughter! At 10 she is brilliant!
Indeed she is. :cool:

A Rose by any other name will smell as sweet. (please forgive me if I misquoted the great Bard):)

One of my children has my name and the other their Dads name. Neither child has an issue with it. Probably 'cause we don't. ;)

Just Blue

It has nothing to do with me. She is the one who wants it changed and she should have every right to do that. He has the right to completely ignore the fact that she is his daughter. Why can't she have the right to change her name if she wants. Since when does tradition matter. Me and her father were never married.
You were given the legal reality.

CSO286

If she should have the right to change her last name, why, not her first?

Should she also have the right the change her first name to Moonbeam Splendor?
The right to eat ice cream for breakfast?
The right to not attend school?
The right to not clean her room, brush her teeth, eat her veggies?

See where I'm going with this, Mom?

She is a CHILD, with one very simple right: The right to do exactly as she is told, when she is told.

Choices available to her might include: Do you want carrots or peas tonight? The green or blue shirt? Do homework before or after piano practice?

Not the right to change her name.

RR218

I understand what you are saying. I'm not arguing that. I just wanted to look into the name change because she had asked me about it and wanted it done. Thanks for the info.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
She can - when she's 18.

CSO286

I understand what you are saying. I'm not arguing that. I just wanted to look into the name change because she had asked me about it and wanted it done. Thanks for the info.
So you tell her that it's not something she can do and drop it.

Easy.

I do it with Small all the time.

Small: Can I get an extra piercing in my ear?
Me: No, we'll discuss it when you are 13.

Small: Can I change my name?
Me: Sure, once you are no longer living under my roof, eating my food and enjoying the amenities I proivde. As soon as you are completely self-sufficient, you can do whatever you'd like.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">