• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I close child support case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Rosebud77

I'm wanting to close my child support case but I'm told I can't. When my daughter was born, I was unsure who the father was. The man I talked to at the child support office told me that getting a DNA test can take up to 6 months so I gave him all the info on the two possible fathers. After about 7 months I went and got on welfare because we were no closer to getting a DNA test done then we were when I first walked into the child support office. After over 2 years of waiting I went and got the DNA test done myself on a fixed income which was not easy. I was tired of waiting for the system to get this done. I hade to drive from Fl to Pa with a 2 and a half year old...that was fun :) Anyway, Nov.1999 I contacted the CS office and told them who the father was and it took another 7 months to get a court order for support. I have since stopped getting welfare so I am able to receive the support payments.

Now they tell me that my daughter's father owes over $6,000 in arrears. Is there a way I can fight this since we didn't know? I can see him having to pay arrears from the time he was notified as "the father" but not this whole time or if it didn't take the system over two years to find a guy that they had all the info needed to find him from day one.

In the month of Oct.00, I received a support check on the 6th. Another check was received by the system on Oct.24th. This check was intended to be for the month of Nov. but was kept for arrears. I was told I may have to deal with this every month (waiting 30 days for a review to see if the money should go to me) and I just want to close the case but can't due to the arrears that I don't agree with. Is there a way I can fight this?? I don't even know who I can talk to! Can anyone help??
Lisa
Case is in Pasco County, Florida

Too Much Energy

Fighting The System Would Be A Waste Of Time And Energy, Kind Of Like Taking On Bill Gates. In All Honesty The Father Does Owe Back Payment. They See Any Assistance Payments You Received As Payments The Father Would Have Been Paying Had He Been Aware Of The Child. And While I Understand Your Frustration The System Would Be Broke If Payments Began When All Fathers Were Located Without Any Backpay. Just Keep In Mind That Repayment Of The Loan Will Enable Another Mother In A Bind To Get Through Tough Times. Good Luck And Congrats On Being Done With The Red Tape.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
He's the father. You and he are the ones who are supposed to support the kid - not the taxpayers. Since they DO know who the father is, he's liable to help pay the state back for the money spent on the kid. It's that simple.

TNBSMommy

Stealth, this post is four years old...Unhappy Son has brought up a couple of these...

Unhappy Son, WHY do you capatilize every word? That is driving me nuts!

TNBSMommy

lmao.. I saw that... ah, well, some people just cant take being told anything they don't agree with, as you well know from being here as longas you have :rolleyes:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I thought I was actually pretty nice. Compared to how I can be. sigh...... I'm so misunderstood. :eek:

I Too Was Joking

Hey I Was Joking Also, If I Couldn't Laugh At Myself Life Would Be Tough. Unfortunately, I Left To Check E-mail And Forgot Which Site I Was At. Who Would Have Thought? As For The Caps, Yet Another Flaw-not Much Of A Typer. Don't Worry I'll Sit Back And Watch. Thanks And If You Have Any More Advice On My Original Post I'd Appreciate It.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">