• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I get custody of my grandson?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Donnafaye

What is the name of your state? South Carolina
My ex-son-in-law and my daughter are battling over their son. But, he is the one who is losing. My daughter cannot afford an attorney to retain custody of her son, and my ex-son-in-law is allowing his girlfriend to dictate what goes on with his son. We have not been able to have visitation with my grandson in 5 years. We see him only at school. The judge says that whatever the father deems resonable is whatever he wants. So, he wants my grandson to never see his mother. My grandson wants to live with us, so I'm wondering what kind of legal rights do grandparents have in South Carolina? I would truly appreciate any information that I can obtain so that we can end this battle and make my grandson happy again.
Thank you

Zephyr

rather than hiring an attorney for yourself- cause you would definitely need one for this, why not help your daughter get one since she has the same rights as dad and is therefore more likely to have a favorable outcome in court

LdiJ

rather than hiring an attorney for yourself- cause you would definitely need one for this, why not help your daughter get one since she has the same rights as dad and is therefore more likely to have a favorable outcome in court
I agree with this advice wholeheartedly. Your only chance of custody would be if you could prove both parents legally unfit (which is extremely difficult to do)...and even then the paternal grandparents would have equal standing to you. Your legal bucks would be far better spent solidifying your daughter's rights, so that you could spend time with the kids on her time.

LdiJ

Am I reading between the lines that there is some reason daughter would not be granted custody?
She used the term "son in law" so I am assuming that dad's rights were equal from the get go...

Lets not be chauvanistic enough to assume that a mom without primary custody is automatically unfit.

nextwife

She used the term "son in law" so I am assuming that dad's rights were equal from the get go...

Lets not be chauvanistic enough to assume that a mom without primary custody is automatically unfit.

I did not presume that. It was the fact that the GRANDPARENTS believed that they were the one's who needed to get custody from dad that created the impression. And the fact that the judge does not seem overly enthused about enforcing Mom's visitation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">