• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I get custody of my niece?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

luvmyniece

What is the name of your state? Missouri
I am in need of some legal knowledge. I want to gain custody of my niece before things get way out of hand. It all started about a year ago...my sister had a meth lab at her house which got busted...but she did not get arrested because she was at work while other people were cooking it in her garage. Then she got turned in for doing drugs in the presence of her child. The police searched their house but found nothing. I recently walked in on my sister and her husband smoking marijuana with my niece in the same room. I do not know what else they may be doing besides marijuana but I am scared. Do I have any chance of getting custody of my niece since they have never been charged with anything? Can I give my two year old niece a drug test? What can I do? Please help!

dallas702

Probably the only way to get custody is if you turned them in to CPS, your niece is placed in fostercare, you apply for and become fostercare certified, they give you temporary custody, and your sister and her bum don't ever get their lives together and you get to adopt. That only takes about a year or two.

snostar

You sill have to prove BOTH parents are unfit in order to gain custody.

Then she got turned in for doing drugs in the presence of her child
What does this mean and what happened to the child?

luvmyniece

Apparently one of my sister's friends husband went over to my sister's house to pick up his child and saw my sister, her husband, and his wife all using marijuana in the presence of the children. He reported it to the local sheriff's office and the sheriff's office searched the house at 3 A.M. like five hours later. They said that they had a warrant to search the place because they had been pointed out to their attention that their were children endangered in the home because of drug use. They found nothing in the house when they searched. We live in a very rural area in northern Missouri and I really truly believe they did not find any evidence is primarily because our sheriff's department is unreliable, have not had the proper training, or perhaps my sister and her husband had enough time to dispose of all of the evidence. Nothing happened to my niece nor the other man's child. Is this unusual?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">