• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I get in trouble for leaving the state with my daughter?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

candice143

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I have custody of my 4 year old daughter and her father hasn't done much of anything for her her entire life. He paid child support for a few months and then went to jail for 2 years. He recently got out on parole and when he heard news that I'll be moving to Kansas with our daughter he got angry and told me he'll be taking me to court. If I move to Kansas anyway could I get in trouble for that?

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I have custody of my 4 year old daughter and her father hasn't done much of anything for her her entire life. He paid child support for a few months and then went to jail for 2 years. He recently got out on parole and when he heard news that I'll be moving to Kansas with our daughter he got angry and told me he'll be taking me to court. If I move to Kansas anyway could I get in trouble for that?
What does your court order say with regard to custody? (word for word but without the name).

Also read your court order carefully and tell us what it says, if anything with respect to relocation.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What does your court order say with regard to custody? (word for word but without the name).

Also read your court order carefully and tell us what it says, if anything with respect to relocation.
And then realize that if the court order doesn't state anything that state law still controls and there may be a relocation statute that you have to follow.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">