• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I be held in contempt? (M)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

momof2girls

Can I be held in contempt if I have sole custody, ex with only liberal visitation if he told daughter last year (Feb) that he wasnt going to see her anymore, because he was going on with his life and marrying someone(which he did) and stuffed all of daughters things in his home in garbage bags and told her to come and get them, and daughter and I did. Then in October he decides that he wants to see her again, Daughter is now in counceling for him doing this stuff to her and she wants NO part of him and doesnt want to see him. He REALLY hurt her BAD. I feel that I have to stand up for her. He says that everything that is bothering her is in the PAST and that she should 'get over it' and not let it bother her. thanks for your time.

tigger22472

Go to court as fast as you can to get visitation modified to nothing less then supervised... Take the Dr. with you. At this point he can get you for not following the court or although I'm not sure what you really meant by liberal visitation.

M

momof2girls

this is how it is worded

"The wife shall be awarded the legal custody, care, custody and control of the parties minor child. Husband shall have liberal visitation at reasonable times and places."

There was no set visitation time at all. That is ALL it says pertaining to custody & visitation.

thank you

C

carolinaheat

when you go to court ask the judge for no visitation for the father until the child and the father attend counseling together. Since the father was so harsh in pushing the child from his life, and she is in couseling for that, they need to reestablish their father/daughter relationship. the child has lost all faith and trust in her father and may not be able to adjust to him re-entering his life until they work out the past first. After a considerable amount of counseling, then start with only limited visitation during the day and early evening, no overnights until the daughter is completely comfortable with her father being her father again. I do believe that a judge will talk and listen to the child given the circumstances, but he will ultimately be the one to decide.

Good Luck

E

Esimon1

Liberal visitation is basically-he can see her more than just the standard every other weekend. Yet, in reading your post, I think HE'S the one that needs counseling. How traumatic for your daughter to be put through that! I would personally go for a hearing, and ask that the judge speak with your daughter, (depending on age). This may help in determining just how much visitation time he is entitled to, though, I would guess not "liberal"!

buka

I agree with the other posters: File a motion to limit his visitation with her ASAP.
I also wanted to add that even if your ex does get around to filing contempt papers against you, it is doubtful that any judge would do more than scold you for denying his visitation under the circumstances you described. If he hurt her enough to need counseling, then you are acting in your child's best interest by denying visitation until you can get supervised visits in place. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">