• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I leave the state?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ValerieSweeney

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

Have not received child support in 8 months. Filed contempt charges against him, Not able to pay the rent anymore. Can I leave the state and move in with my fiance? The father will still be able to see our daughter. Our divorce papers state nothing about not being allowed to leave. I have Primary Custody but we have Joint Legal. Help! I need to do this asap before the school year starts.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Have not received child support in 8 months. Filed contempt charges against him, Not able to pay the rent anymore. Can I leave the state and move in with my fiance? The father will still be able to see our daughter. Our divorce papers state nothing about not being allowed to leave. I have Primary Custody but we have Joint Legal. Help! I need to do this asap before the school year starts.
Sure - go ahead and leave. On your way out of the state, just drop kiddo off with dad. Then YOU can visit all you want while kiddo stays in the state.

Just Blue

You will need to follow the state law for relocation. Likely you will need Dads WRITTEN permission and or the courts. You will have to show it is in the CHILD'S interest to move. Not yours. Not your billfold. But the CHILD'S.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member

I'm going to bet that MD has statutes requiring some sort of notification. Perhaps you should reacquaint yourself with your best friend Google and have a look at what the state requires.

Silverplum

You can leave the state whenever you want.

Can you take your child with you? Nope, not without completing the legal process.

LdiJ

You will need to follow the state law for relocation. Likely you will need Dads WRITTEN permission and or the courts. You will have to show it is in the CHILD'S interest to move. Not yours. Not your billfold. But the CHILD'S.
Re the bolded, I HAVE seen "billfold" be a reason that a judge accepts for a relocation to be necessary, particularly if the ncp is NOT paying their child support.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">