• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I move out of Texas?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

slbrown75

What is the name of your state? Texas

I have joint custody of my 2 girls, with me as the custodial parent. I am remarrying and want to move to TN. My ex has a great job there, and it would be in our best interest to be there. Our divorce states that I have "the exclusive right to establish the primary residence of the children." Can he stop me from moving? Is it likely that a judge would rule against the move if he took me to court over this?

Clarification

Your ex already works/lives in TN? For how long? Is the move permanent?

Does he not want you to relocate to TN? For what reason?

How is it in "our" best interest to be in TN?

slbrown75 said:
What is the name of your state? Texas

I have joint custody of my 2 girls, with me as the custodial parent. I am remarrying and want to move to TN. My ex has a great job there, and it would be in our best interest to be there. Our divorce states that I have "the exclusive right to establish the primary residence of the children." Can he stop me from moving? Is it likely that a judge would rule against the move if he took me to court over this?

Yes, very likely. --How long have you been remarried?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Did you really mean that your EX has a job in TN, or your new husband? If the former, I can't see a judge from blocking you moving the kids closer to their father. If you meant the latter, your ex can certainly contest your ability to remove the kids from TX and a judge can order the kids not to be moved.

slbrown75

I divorced him because he was very controlling, didn't even want me to talk to anyone. He didn't want the divorce and is still bitter, he does not want me involved with anyone else. He has already started putting the girls in the middle of the situation, telling them bad things about my fiance. He has told me that no one else will take care of/discipline HIS kids...ever. If I stay here, I know the situation is going to get ugly...and I really don't think my kids should have to go through that.

Not a lawyer, but a Texan. From what I understand, he CAN keep you in Texas. You really should contact a lawyer to fight the ultimate outcome. If you need some names, I'd be glad to help, we're going through similar things.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
slbrown75 said:
I divorced him because he was very controlling, didn't even want me to talk to anyone. He didn't want the divorce and is still bitter, he does not want me involved with anyone else. He has already started putting the girls in the middle of the situation, telling them bad things about my fiance. He has told me that no one else will take care of/discipline HIS kids...ever. If I stay here, I know the situation is going to get ugly...and I really don't think my kids should have to go through that.
That's not going to buy you a ticket out of Texas. Why is this move in the best interests of the kids?

villavilla

Selfish...Moving for you, not your kids...admit it.

Why is it that every one of these move away posts include the woman getting remarried and wants to be with her new man. I am so sick and tired of hearing that. We are going through the same thing. My fiance's ex wife just remarried and wants to move to Italy where her husband is stationed. Why should a fabulous and loving father have to be denied the 50/50 contact with his children so she can go get her groove on. You made a commitment when you had children with someone else that you would always put the CHILDREN first. Not you and not your new husband. Why can't he move to Texas? Money? Then you two should live apart while he actively seeks employment in Texas. Not fair to the children to miss out on their father. Selfish! And maybe I don't understand your entire situation but unless he beats his children, doesn't ever see them or is just a horrible horrible father, his children deserve frequent and meaningful contact with him. Not once every few months! Selfish! I'm sorry for being bitter but man, people need to stop thinking about themselves so dang much!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">