• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I recieve custody of my daughter if I'm not a legal guardian

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nmcclay

What is the name of your state? Illinois

I got with my ex when I was 16 years old. He had already had a four month old baby. I moved into his mothers house and began to take care of the baby. The babys biological mother wanted nothing to do with her, so I took on the roll. When the baby turned one years old her dad went off to college and I stayed behind taking care of the baby and finishing high school. the next year the baby and i went down to live also. We stayed together from 1998-2005, I left the state we were in and he allowed the baby to come with me. My name is on all of her school records, medical records, and insurance records and has always been. But now that I have moved back to illinois my ex mother has been trying to get the baby and her mother is out of jail after not wanting or seeing the child in about six years, now wants to take claim to her. My question to you, is there any kind of legal way for me to get full custody of my daughter, or at least share custody with her father. I got her when she was 4 months old and she will be 9 years old next month. please help.

nmcclay said:

I got with my ex when I was 16 years old. He had already had a four month old baby. I moved into his mothers house and began to take care of the baby. The babys biological mother wanted nothing to do with her, so I took on the roll. When the baby turned one years old her dad went off to college and I stayed behind taking care of the baby and finishing high school. the next year the baby and i went down to live also. We stayed together from 1998-2005, I left the state we were in and he allowed the baby to come with me. My name is on all of her school records, medical records, and insurance records and has always been. But now that I have moved back to illinois my ex mother has been trying to get the baby and her mother is out of jail after not wanting or seeing the child in about six years, now wants to take claim to her. My question to you, is there any kind of legal way for me to get full custody of my daughter, or at least share custody with her father. I got her when she was 4 months old and she will be 9 years old next month. please help.[/QUOTe

Are you still with the babys father?

LdiJ

nmcclay said:

I got with my ex when I was 16 years old. He had already had a four month old baby. I moved into his mothers house and began to take care of the baby. The babys biological mother wanted nothing to do with her, so I took on the roll. When the baby turned one years old her dad went off to college and I stayed behind taking care of the baby and finishing high school. the next year the baby and i went down to live also. We stayed together from 1998-2005, I left the state we were in and he allowed the baby to come with me. My name is on all of her school records, medical records, and insurance records and has always been. But now that I have moved back to illinois my ex mother has been trying to get the baby and her mother is out of jail after not wanting or seeing the child in about six years, now wants to take claim to her. My question to you, is there any kind of legal way for me to get full custody of my daughter, or at least share custody with her father. I got her when she was 4 months old and she will be 9 years old next month. please help.
Hon, you most sincerely need an attorney. It would be difficult for you to keep custody of the child since you have no legal relationship to the child but there may be some chance if you get a good attorney.

T

titansfan

you have no rights

im sorry, you may have raised this child,but she is not YOUR daughter. you have no legal rights to this child. dont take the child away again, or you may face kidnapping charges.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">