• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a judge make an 18 year old stay with parent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lsimons

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan
Can a judge make a 18 year old stay with the parent? My ex has a motion of domicile in and she may leave before my daughter turns 18. She is a junior in high school and would have to switch mid semester. She does not want to go and plans to live with dad when she turns 18 to finish school here.

Antigone*

Can a judge make a 18 year old stay with the parent? My ex has a motion of domicile in and she may leave before my daughter turns 18. She is a junior in high school and would have to switch mid semester. She does not want to go and plans to live with dad when she turns 18 to finish school here.
The age of majority in Michigan is 18. When she turns 18 she can live with whomever she chooses

LdiJ

So your ex is currently the parent with primary custody and she wants to relocate with your currently 17 year old daughter? Your 17 year old daughter does not want to move with her? She wants to stay and graduate with her class?

lsimons

She wants to stay with dad now and has written a letter to the court stating that. She does not want to move but ex I believe is planning to leave before she turns 18 to make it difficult for her to come back when she turns 18

xylene

She wants to stay with dad now and has written a letter to the court stating that. She does not want to move but ex I believe is planning to leave before she turns 18 to make it difficult for her to come back when she turns 18
Well that is tough about mom intentionally harming the child to spite dad, but it doesn't change the fact that at age 18 the child is then an adult, and can do what she wishes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">