• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a Judge Overrule a custody order at restraining order hearing?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JonL2010

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA

A friend of mine (the mother) went to court a couple days ago and got temp custody and stating the child should stay with the mother until the next hearing in 3 weeks because the father asked for a continuance.

A few days later the mother had to go to court again over a restraining order to get her child off of the restraining order and the judge gave custody to the father and the judge at the custody hearing said he was in contempt 2 weeks before the custody hearing. Since he had to give the child back to her before the first hearing and never did.

My question is: Can that judge at the restraining order hearing overrule the custody order that another judge signed?
All because the child is on the fathers restraining order against the mother?

PS.
The mother also has a restraining order with the child on it against the father

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA

A friend of mine (the mother) went to court a couple days ago and got temp custody and stating the child should stay with the mother until the next hearing in 3 weeks because the father asked for a continuance.

A few days later the mother had to go to court again over a restraining order to get her child off of the restraining order and the judge gave custody to the father and the judge at the custody hearing said he was in contempt 2 weeks before the custody hearing. Since he had to give the child back to her before the first hearing and never did.

My question is: Can that judge at the restraining order hearing overrule the custody order that another judge signed?
All because the child is on the fathers restraining order against the mother?

PS.
The mother also has a restraining order with the child on it against the father
Who are you? When did mom get a restraining order against the father that included the child?

Why are these parents using their child as a weapon? And yes it is possible for a restraining order to OVERRULE custody orders.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">