• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can living with boyfriend before marriage affect custody?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kylene

What is the name of your state? Virginina

I have a question regarding a custody issue. I am currently living with my parents and they are guardians to my 8 year old son. I had my son when I was 16 years old and both my son’s father and I granted them guardianship to enable my son (and my delivery) to be covered under my Father’s military insurance. Since that time I have graduated from high school, obtained both my B.S and M.S., and am currently working on my Ph.D. Due to my continued schooling, I have never moved out of my parent’s house nor changed the guardianship (custody) arrangements. Please let me note that I have always been considered the mother and my parents merely play supporting roles in my son’s life. There is no confusion about who is the parent here. I am now at a point in my life where I will soon be filing for custody of my son, moving out of my parent’s house and getting married. My parents have no problems with this, but rather I am worried about my son’s biological father. He has only recently been actively involved in his life (for about the past 6 months). The problem is I am contemplating moving in with my 3 year long boyfriend who is currently going through divorce proceedings. He has been separated from his wife for 4 years. Will my moving in with him damage my credibility as a fit parent? I know that my son’s father does not want full custody, but I would like full custody. I am worried that he might get joint custody or bring up issues of us living with my boyfriend (before we are married and/or before he is officially divorce). I am sorry for the long intro to actually get to my question, but I feel it is important that you know all the details in order to answer my question accurately. Thank you for any advice you could give me in regards to this situation.

O

OnlyOneVoice

Since no one can know the mind of the particular judge in question there is no way to give you an absolute.

The fact that you decide to live with your BF may deminish your standing in the eyes of the court, depending on the judges ideas of acceptable conduct.

You could be accused of exposing the child to "immoral" activity or even worse "engaging in inappropriate activities" in front of your child.

My advice, not based in any legal rule, is DO NOT move in with your BF until his divorce is final and you are actually married.

Better safe than sorry in my book.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">