• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a man who is not bio-father sign birth certificate?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

Expecting9/01

Hello my name is Samantha. I live in Michigan. I am 20 years old and am currently 4mo. pregnant. The biological father is also 20 years old. We were just dating for about 2mo(that was 3 mo. ago) when I became pregnant. My questions are more about the actual birth and birth certificate. I have 2 friends that have also had children out of non-wed relationships. Both of them raise the children on their own. Neither of them have the names of the fathers on the birth certificate. I am not sure if either of the fathers even want to be on the certificates. In my case, the father basically fell apart as a person when we broke up. He stalked me, tried to commit suicide, and is currently seeing a therapist every other day. He is not a stable person at all and actually scares me. For those reasons only, I was wondering what the laws pertaining to a birth certificate are. I was told I have the option to not put his name on the birth certificate, but that takes away my rights to recieve child support. Can he force me to let him sign it? I am currently engaged with the man that I was with for 5 yrs before all of this happened. He wants to treat this child as his own and wonders if HE can sign the birth certificate. Is that possible to have someone that is not the biological father to sign the birth certificate? Does it make any difference if the biological father doesn't care? Can the biological father force a paternity test so his name can be on the birth certificate? If you can answer any of my questions it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Samantha

L

LadyBlu

Expecting9/01 said:
Hello my name is Samantha. I live in Michigan. I am 20 years old and am currently 4mo. pregnant. The biological father is also 20 years old. We were just dating for about 2mo(that was 3 mo. ago) when I became pregnant. My questions are more about the actual birth and birth certificate. I have 2 friends that have also had children out of non-wed relationships. Both of them raise the children on their own. Neither of them have the names of the fathers on the birth certificate. I am not sure if either of the fathers even want to be on the certificates. In my case, the father basically fell apart as a person when we broke up. He stalked me, tried to commit suicide, and is currently seeing a therapist every other day. He is not a stable person at all and actually scares me. For those reasons only, I was wondering what the laws pertaining to a birth certificate are. I was told I have the option to not put his name on the birth certificate, but that takes away my rights to recieve child support. Can he force me to let him sign it? I am currently engaged with the man that I was with for 5 yrs before all of this happened. He wants to treat this child as his own and wonders if HE can sign the birth certificate. Is that possible to have someone that is not the biological father to sign the birth certificate? Does it make any difference if the biological father doesn't care? Can the biological father force a paternity test so his name can be on the birth certificate? If you can answer any of my questions it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Samantha
If you can get the bio dad to sign away any rights prior to the birth usually that will hold up in court. If the b/f is willing to put his name on the birth certificate then you should have no problems enforcing the termination of parental rights. Of course there is also the factor that if you are married at the time of giving birth then the presumptive father is your husband. But, be warned that does not keep the bio dad from taking the issue to the court and requesting a paternity test to prove the child is his so he can have visitation rights etc.. he will be obligated to pay support then also.

Here is a link to the Michigan statutes that you can look through to see how these laws will affect you:

http://www.michiganlegislature.org/law/GetObject.asp?objName=Act-293-of-1968

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">