• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can mom ignore my phone calls and Text's?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TexasDad75

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I just had my daughter for the thanksgiving break. When she came to me she had a horrible cough. A few day's later running a fever of 103 and coulden't get it down so we took her to the Doctor and turned out she has bronchatis. She was put on a medacine and breathing treatments for 10 days. I had my daughter again the past weekend and her mother did not send her antibiotics that she was supposed to still be on.. She hasn't made a follow up appointment like she is supposed to to make sure she is getting better. I have been trying to call my ex and text my ex to see how my daughter is doing and she wont return a single call or text. My question is, can she just ignore my questions about my daughter?
Another question I have is on the 50/50 for copay's and medical expenses.. I carry the insurance but it says that we split the copay and medical expenses 50/50.. She owes me $50 for her half of the copay and $28 for her half of the medicine, is there a grace period or a specific amount of time she has to pay me back her half I payed? I sent her copies of all receipts and papers and she has been avoiding me ever since then. The money doesn't really matter as much to me as not being able to see how my daughter is doing. Any input would help.
Thanks in advance

Can Mom ignore you? Sure, unless your court order specifically requires her to notify you of medical appointments (such as the follow up appointment). It's pretty crappy co-parenting on her part though. Hopefully the seniors have better advice, but I would be sure to document the fact that Mom did not send the medicine.

As far as the bills, does your court order say anything about the time frame they are to be paid? How did you submit the copies of the bills and receipts to Mom? If you haven't, I would send them via certified mail, so you have a solid record of when she received the information in you need it for a contempt case later.

Isis1

When the other parent doesn't make a follow up appointment, I make one. And I take the child myself. And I ask the doctor about a supplement prescription. Easy peasy. Learn to be self sufficient on your time. It's less stressful. The more you are upset about mom not keeping you up to date, the more gray hairs for you.

I'm guessing you and mom were never big on communication while you were together. I'm always laughing when separated couples seem to think communication gets instantly better. It gets worse. Especially when you stress about it. It's another tool for the other parent. Stop letting it bug you.

Welcome to the world of d-i-v-o-r-c-e . You should double chk the drug needs before the child is taken (how the switch happens ??? you could ask before taking her "does she have any medications I need to know about")

Ask the child too if you cannot get a response from the X.

It could be that the wife a) forgot and b) hates your guts and does not want to talk to you

Welcome to the world of d-i-v-o-r-c-e . You should double chk the drug needs before the child is taken (how the switch happens ??? you could ask before taking her "does she have any medications I need to know about")

Ask the child too if you cannot get a response from the X.
It could be that the wife a) forgot and b) hates your guts and does not want to talk to you
Uhhhh....what? It is not the child's responsibility to exchange medication and medical information at the pick up/drop off and to expect the child to do so is ridiculous.

Uhhhh....what? It is not the child's responsibility to exchange medication and medical information at the pick up/drop off and to expect the child to do so is ridiculous.
I agree but here you are ... in a ridiculous situation. You can only ask the other parent. If you have more difficulties, perhaps change the pick-up place to the residence of the X...if she "forgot" anything, then its right there (hopefully).

I agree but here you are ... in a ridiculous situation. You can only ask the other parent. If you have more difficulties, perhaps change the pick-up place to the residence of the X...if she "forgot" anything, then its right there (hopefully).
Not necessarily. The OP does not need to rely on the other parent. He can follow Isis's suggestions which were very reasonable. Are you suggesting that the OP put his child in the middle when he could just as easily handle the situation himself?

PS - I am not the one in a ridiculous situation, and neither is the OP...unless he tries turning the child into a go-between.

TexasDad75

I never thought to send them Certified. I just sent her copies of them when I dropped her off. I will be sending new ones certified though. Thanks for that advice. And as far as asking my child she is only four so she can't really tell me much lol I sent her all the papers and told her the dr was very addiment on her finishing the full 10 days and concerned as to why my daughter seems to be sick more than she is well. My daughter seems to be sick every time I get her from her mother. Her mother has a bad habit of not finishing out medicines or having her take them as prescribed. She has even lied to me in the past about taking her to the dr when she was sick. My daughter has had bronchitis before. Her mother told me she took her to the dr and they said to just give her over the counter meds and it was only a cold. I called the doctors office and they had never even seen my daughter. So I took her myself. Turned out she had bronchitis. I do not believe she forgot the antibiotics because she sent her saline and breathing mask back but not the meds. I think she has not been giving them to her again the way it was prescribed. My mother picked up my daughter on this particular Friday and that is why I did not know until I got of work 3 hours later that it was not sent. I tried texting and calling ex to see where it was but no response.

He can follow Isis's suggestions which were very reasonable. .
getting duplicate Rx is not a wise move. trust me, the uncommunicative parent could have brought the child to another Dr and he gave out a new drug that would conflict with the original. It sounds reasonable but its trouble waiting to happen.

I think Isis's advice was the best. Schedule the follow-up appointment and take her. Perhaps the next time you have to take her to the doctor, you could request the pharmacist split the dosages into two bottles: one for you and one for Mom. Of course, this won't help make her give Daughter the medication.

And as far as asking my child she is only four so she can't really tell me much lol
Even a 4 yr old knows when they are taking medicine. You do ask this ? when she is sick, right? Did mommy give you any medicine? You should before you wish to treat her for any cold etc. .. you don't want to accidentally over-med her. Just food for thought. Its your child, not mine. when in your care the decisions are 100% yours to make. Think of other kids who have chronic conditions and this is the situation they are in.

getting duplicate Rx is not a wise move. trust me, the uncommunicative parent could have brought the child to another Dr and he gave out a new drug that would conflict with the original. It sounds reasonable but its trouble waiting to happen.
This could happen in any situation at any time. Are you saying that the OP should not ever take his child to the doctor on the off chance that Mom may have done so already? Basically do nothing?

The best thing the OP can do is care for his child to the furthest extent of his ability.

This could happen in any situation at any time. Are you saying that the OP should not ever take his child to the doctor on the off chance that Mom may have done so already? .
In this situation the OP knew a drug was Rx. Good point though...recommend only 1 pharmacy be used unless the insurance ties them all in so that interactions would be noted by the 2nd pharmacist.

The compulsion to have to do something can lead to serious drug interactions and side effects. I read all my inserts, something 99% don't do. And if the OP takes the child to a Dr he should ask "what meds are she on now" .. the answer should be "I don't know, my X and I don't communicate well". The Dr may be able to chk prior to giving a Rx.

There are deaths every year due to drug interactions. Just something to be aware of.

TexasDad75

I did ask her. But I don't know what to believe because she told me yes she was doing her breathing treatments. But when I asked if she was taking her orange medicine (antibiotics) she told me not that it tasted nasty. I got her this past Friday and no meds where sent and she was not supposed to be done with the antibiotic until today. So she obviously didn't take the full dosage like she was supposed to. And even with the breathing treatments. I sent ex two boxes of saline and she gave me a while box back not even opened. She is supposed to do treatments every three hours.. There was only about 10 left in the opened box I gave her.. The other box should have already been opened had she been giving them as prescribed.. My worry is how is our daughter ever to get better if the other parent isn't responsible enough to keep them on track with these things? And I have no control over if she takes it or nor when she is not with me. But I will be making an appointment my next weekend and just keeping documentation I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">