• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can mother change minor childs name back to her maiden name?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

huntindeer

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

I have been to court and the court ruled that my 9 month old son would have my last name (the father). However, now the mother is petitioning to have it changed back to her maiden name. What will be the courts ruling in this matter? :confused:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

I have been to court and the court ruled that my 9 month old son would have my last name (the father). However, now the mother is petitioning to have it changed back to her maiden name. What will be the courts ruling in this matter? :confused:
Based on what? The court has already ruled. The court will not be happy with the name games. Respond to the ruling with the outcome of the prior court hearing.

huntindeer

Based on I have no idea. She doesn't want the baby to have my last name. She doesn't even want me seeing him. We have a visitation plan laid out and most of it was supervised. However, the last 4 visits will not be supervised. It was court ordered that we get him on Thanksgiving unsupervised and she didn't show up at the alotted pick up place. She just doesn't want me to have anything to do with our son. So I believe that is why she wants to change his name back.

Silverplum

Based on I have no idea. She doesn't want the baby to have my last name. She doesn't even want me seeing him. We have a visitation plan laid out and most of it was supervised. However, the last 4 visits will not be supervised. It was court ordered that we get him on Thanksgiving unsupervised and she didn't show up at the alotted pick up place. She just doesn't want me to have anything to do with our son. So I believe that is why she wants to change his name back.
File contempt immediately for the no-show on Thanksgiving.

huntindeer

Thank you all for your posts. They have really given me hope that the judge won't change his name back! My lawyer has already sent her paperwork asking for the documentation or else she will be held in contempt of court. She told me the baby was in the ER but never would tell me where he was or what was even wrong with him! :mad: She's claiming in her petition the reason she wants to change the last name is because it's in the best interest of the child and because he lives with her and she doesn't want his name to be embarrasment to him. I pay my child support and try to see my son if she lets me. Our parenting plan runs out in December so we will have to go back to court. I'm filing for joint custody.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">