• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can mother live with boyfriend and have custody, legally speaking?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pokerpro

What is the name of your state? OHIO

My son's mother lives with her boyfriend. She has custody of my son, however, we just worked out the deal on our own, without going into the court. But, that was before she moved out of town with her new boyfriend. I have been told that it is illegal for the boyfriend to live there, as she has not married him, and my son is living there. Is this true? I should mention, my son has never complained about him, and to the best of my knowledge, this guy has never yelled at or hit in any way my son. I realize if the boyfriend was abusive, I could get my son out immediately, but since the guy is not abusive, I can only go by what I was told, which it is still illegal for this guy to live there, as long as he and my sons mom are not married. So, do I have a leg to stand on when I tell her it is illegal for him to live there?
Thanks

Whyte Noise

No, it is not true. It's not illegal for a man and woman to live together, even if one of them has a child.

Who told you that?

Starry809

not "illegal" but her lawyer probably wouldve told her to "be cool" until the divorce is final.
Another way to look at it.. consider yourself lucky! I know it may hurt the pride a little to have another man in your sons life in that position but it could be massive worse. If he treats your son good, is nice to him etc,trust me, its a GOOD thing, and itll make you and your son closer because he will feel secure and not fear getting close to the person. hes gonna love you for it. And itll make you and your (ex)wife's life SO much easier not fighting over another person in his life.
He knows hes your son, he knows your his daddy. that man will never replace that. rest easy and be happy your son has someone in his life that will respect your position and not try to take over.

txpoohbear

replying to you

having gone through a divorce myself i can tell you that no it is not illegal unless the divorce is final or whatever and the judge has it in the divorce decree that neither parent can have anyone of the opposit sex living in the house unless they are married. that is in our divorce decree in texas so it may be different there but i doubt it. if that wasn't in our decree then we could have someone else in the house without being married. this rule with us only applies when the child is in the care of one or the other of us though. like i have my son every single day so therefore unless i marry a man i can not have one live with me but the way she is doing it, no it isn't illegal until it is ordered by a judge that it can't be done. so until that is done no you wont have a leg to stand on if you tell her it is illegal.

Did I miss something? Because I don't see where this poster said that he was married to his childs mother. To the poster.....you havent even been to court for custody/visitation correct? If I am correct and there is no order you don't have a leg to stand on. Although nice last ditch effort to control the ex. :rolleyes:

AHA

pokerpro said:
What is the name of your state? OHIO

My son's mother lives with her boyfriend. She has custody of my son, however, we just worked out the deal on our own, without going into the court. But, that was before she moved out of town with her new boyfriend. I have been told that it is illegal for the boyfriend to live there, as she has not married him, and my son is living there. Is this true? I should mention, my son has never complained about him, and to the best of my knowledge, this guy has never yelled at or hit in any way my son. I realize if the boyfriend was abusive, I could get my son out immediately, but since the guy is not abusive, I can only go by what I was told, which it is still illegal for this guy to live there, as long as he and my sons mom are not married. So, do I have a leg to stand on when I tell her it is illegal for him to live there?
Thanks
Since your son is obviously being treated right by this man who is not his father, I would leave well alone. By stirring up stuff that you have no right to, you might be starting a very unfavorable situation for your kid's future.
Because it's ALL ABOUT THE KID, not you, your ex or her new man.

haiku

why do you care? Its kind of oxy moronic to get upset about a live-in boyfriend if you were not even married to her.......

You mention not going to court. Did you legally establish paternity of this child at the time of birth? If you haven't, you are not even LEGALLY considered the father of this child.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">