• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my ex-husband stop me from seeking medical treatment for our children

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Debra02067

undefinedWhat is the name of your state?
MA.
I have taken my children for 4 years to the same neuropsychologist for testing. In her last report the information negatively impacted my ex-husband........In simple terms he did not like hearing that his parenting style was harmful to the children. Now I need to take my daughter back, and he has called her telling her I do not have permission, and has threatened me telling me I cannot take them, and I should find an alternate doctor. These kinds of doctor's are hard to find, and have usually a 6 month wait. In addition, this doctor takes my insurance and does not bill me for the rest. What are my children's rights, and can I still take them to see her if she is still willing?

Debra02067

Relpy

I have sole physical, and jint legal.....He has a past of stopping the children from seeing professionals who say something negative.......

casa

Debra02067 said:
undefinedWhat is the name of your state?
MA.
I have taken my children for 4 years to the same neuropsychologist for testing. In her last report the information negatively impacted my ex-husband........In simple terms he did not like hearing that his parenting style was harmful to the children. Now I need to take my daughter back, and he has called her telling her I do not have permission, and has threatened me telling me I cannot take them, and I should find an alternate doctor. These kinds of doctor's are hard to find, and have usually a 6 month wait. In addition, this doctor takes my insurance and does not bill me for the rest. What are my children's rights, and can I still take them to see her if she is still willing?
Since you have been taking the children for the past 4 years, you should be fine continuing.

Did the Dr. terminate services because of the father calling them? Why a Nuerologist rather than a therapist? (Phd., LCSW, MFCC etc.) What negative impact(s) specifically, did the Nuerologist attribute to the father?

If your husband files against your for contempt of joint legal custody- you'll be able to provide records etc. that the children have been going to the Dr. for the past 4 years. Then the X will lose his credibility, as the fact that he hasn't filed to dispute it in 4 years demonstrates he was consenting.

Debra02067

Thank you

What I failed to mentionis that for the past 4 years, she had done only neuro-testing, and last year she did a psychological test on my son which negatively impacted him as a father. He has gone after her through the licsensing board. She is still willing to see my children, because she feels that she cannot deny them medical care, because he is abusive. Today he wrote me and said: " You are never to take them to her, I have contacted her and the State" Some of many threats I get on a weekly basis.
He has done this before, and discouraged therapy for the children in the past, by telling them they did not need it, when they saw a PHD, for counseling. He has a history.............

casa

Debra02067 said:
What I failed to mentionis that for the past 4 years, she had done only neuro-testing, and last year she did a psychological test on my son which negatively impacted him as a father. He has gone after her through the licsensing board. She is still willing to see my children, because she feels that she cannot deny them medical care, because he is abusive. Today he wrote me and said: " You are never to take them to her, I have contacted her and the State" Some of many threats I get on a weekly basis.
He has done this before, and discouraged therapy for the children in the past, by telling them they did not need it, when they saw a PHD, for counseling. He has a history.............
Why did you take your children to a Nuerologist every single year & have Psychological testing done? Do your children have any disorder(s) that you are not addressing? Any Learning Disabilities? :confused:

Debra02067

My chldren do have learning disabilities,and I am addressing their needs by taking them for testing.........My son showed high levels of depression due in part ot his learning disabilities, but mainly because of the abusive relationship with his father, that is why I had the psych testing done........

rmet4nzkx

What exactly is the reason for 4 years of testing by a NP?
What are the ages of your children?
What tests have they been given?
What are the codes on your insurance for these visits?
How frequently?
What are you leaving out?
I am a NP so I will know all the implications.
Your ex has a right to recind permission because you have JOINT legal custody. He has the right to make a complaint to the licensing board.
Please give specific examples to these problematic behaviors?
Are your children disabled, if so, what diagnosis.
Is there any litigation pending?
I have more questions, this is a start.

LdiJ

rmet4nzkx said:
Hello?
Where did you go after I asked for facts?
Probably back to work or whatever else she was doing.....or even went to look for some of the information you wanted.

She may not have even seen your questions.

rmet4nzkx

LdiJ said:
Probably back to work or whatever else she was doing.....or even went to look for some of the information you wanted.

She may not have even seen your questions.
They were asking and answering questions until I did, they were still there for some time, I checked, well if they went to work, they should be back by now.

haiku

casa said:
, as the fact that he hasn't filed to dispute it in 4 years demonstrates he was consenting.
not always. In joint legal, BOTH parents have the right to decide to end treatment at anytime, information leads them to believe it is "wise".

LdiJ

rmet4nzkx said:
They were asking and answering questions until I did, they were still there for some time, I checked, well if they went to work, they should be back by now.
Heck Rmet....you have accused me of the same...more than once....when I didn't even see your post until after I had turned over the computer to the kids....and didn't respond until the next day.

Lets remember that many people don't expect an internet board to be as responsive as this one....or don't even have the time/opportunity to check back with it...even if they are stilll officially "logged on".

I personally don't automatically expect someone to respond for at least 24 hours...

rmet4nzkx

LdiJ said:
Heck Rmet....you have accused me of the same...more than once....when I didn't even see your post until after I had turned over the computer to the kids....and didn't respond until the next day.

Lets remember that many people don't expect an internet board to be as responsive as this one....or don't even have the time/opportunity to check back with it...even if they are stilll officially "logged on".

I personally don't automatically expect someone to respond for at least 24 hours...
She posted 4 times, posting to each response she got as long as the posts were what she wanted to hear, have you read the thread? Then when I state that I'm an NP and ask some specific questions she sits there. She is on a fishing trip. In general, NP have a specific area of expertize and it does not include giving tests to use gainst a parent in a custody battle, that is why I wanted to know what tests were given, her story is full of holes and her strategy liable to backfire on her..

LdiJ

rmet4nzkx said:
She posted 4 times, posting to each response she got as long as the posts were what she wanted to hear, have you read the thread? Then when I state that I'm an NP and ask some specific questions she sits there. She is on a fishing trip. In general, NP have a specific area of expertize and it does not include giving tests to use gainst a parent in a custody battle, that is why I wanted to know what tests were given, her story is full of holes and her strategy liable to backfire on her..
and you may be 100% right in this case....or you may have asked your questions shortly before she went on with her day...or got too busy to deal with this board. People actually have LIVES...and often busy ones.

Again....I don't look at it like you do unless there isn't a response 24 hours later. I think you read WAY too much into things sometimes.

Just like now....I am going to bed now...so if I don't respond its because I AM GOING TO BED NOW.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">