• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my ex-wife change my child's school without my permission?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

BenL909

My 10 year old has been in the same school district for 5 years. I live 3 minutes from his school. His mom moved to another city about 20-30 minuets away.. She now wants to move him to another school in another school district because she is too lazy to drive him to the district he is in. Can she do this?

This is the community he grew up in, his 3 best friends live here, one of which is 3 doors down. He plays soccer here and is well known in this area. His mother does not see how devastating to him this can be. He is pretty confused. He will tell whichever parent whatever they want to hear. When he is home he talks about how he'll miss his friends if his mom makes him go to school with his mom.. So I am preparing for a battle on his behalf.

If I can get something that refers to this is some legal text as it applies to California I would be very appreciative.

Sincerely,
KaliDad

S

starsscout100

changing schools

Depending on what your custody arrangements are your child might not be allowed to attend the school near you. Children have to reside in the district and that means spend most of their time there. It might not be a case of the mother being lazy. Maybe her work schedule and the childs school schedule won't allow for the drive to and from school. Many children change schools every year and they manage to make new friends and adjust. It may be hard at first but children do manage. We have many changes in our lives and we need to be able to cope. He is close enough that he can visit his friends.

LegalBeagle

If you have joint custody, you can argue that you should have been consulted. You can even take it to court.. but, 99% of the time, the CP will 'win' and all will go on as before..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">