• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my father help me?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LightTheBeacon

Are your younger sisters in school? Does your mother take them to the doctor for check ups? Why would you not care about them and what she is depriving them of if your mother is doing the same to them? Why has no one noticed that you aren't in school and haven't been for several years?
No one has noticed because I rarely leave my house, along with the fact that a lot of kids are homeschooled.
My younger sisters are three and eight months old. They do not have birth certificates as they were born in a bathtub at our house. They have never been and probably never will go to a doctor of any sort.

And I do care about them, enough that I would stay until I am of age to leave and fight for custody over them then. But my mother has the three year old on a vegan diet where she eats nothing more than nuts, fruits, vegetables. She has terrible reactions to dairy, gluten, soy. So putting her into the system with her strict diet... I doubt they will actually care enough.

LightTheBeacon

I'm trying to understand how a parent of a 16yo (taking OP's story at face value) is interested in having the child live w/him, yet has no clue the child has not been in school. Hate to say it, but Girl? He's not that into you.
My father has been fighting for visitations with me for twelve years. When I was forced to move to South Carolina, the drive was obnoxiously long, and not worth my mother's time. My entire life I had been force-fed lies about my father, causing me to never truly want to get to know him. Along with the fact I was scared of what he would do if he found out my schooling I had been telling him I was doing, was not actually happening. As I have gotten older, I have noticed my mother's insane behavior and realized she is a compulsive liar. I visited my father for the weekend two years ago, feeling everything out. I was still hesitant, but now at home, things are getting worse. I want to begin my life before it is all ruined for me.

LightTheBeacon

Forgive me if I'm off base here, but our OP seems very well spoken for a child who was never educated past 7th grade. This reads more like Dad than Son.

At any rate, if you follow the steps given in CJane's post, you (whether Dad or Son) can indeed obtain birth and Social Security record. It's not hard at all for the parent of a child to do (I had to do it three times when my son's mother "lost" all his paperwork yet again).

I wouldn't count on the help of social services for getting me across state lines. They may be of help to the little ones, though.
Thank you. While I know how to carefully place my words in a sentence to make myself sound well spoken, it does not mean that I know what I should learn in school.
I do not know how to do pre-algebra, I do not know anything about science, history class is long forgotten. There are many things I should have learned over these years that I have not and it puts me in the situation where I feel less intelligent than other kids my age. As I might never use these things in my lifetime, I still need them to graduate or pass a GED test.

But on following CJane's post, when I do receive the paperwork, would my father be able to come get me? Would I be forced to file for court? And if I did, I would be stuck in the household with my mother, the person I am trying to leave. That is really all my questions have been about. Getting the paperwork is fine, but how can I leave?

single317dad

But on following CJane's post, when I do receive the paperwork, would my father be able to come get me? Would I be forced to file for court? And if I did, I would be stuck in the household with my mother, the person I am trying to leave. That is really all my questions have been about. Getting the paperwork is fine, but how can I leave?
Don't misunderstand; those documents aren't a ticket out, they're just pieces of documentation. You won't be going to Dad's without a court order stating exactly that. That's entirely on Dad to accomplish. He should take the initiative to do that, and really all these other things we're discussing here.

I may have missed it somewhere in the thread, but what court is the original custody case in? Has jurisdiction ever been transferred to another court, or does that court still hold the case?

Does Dad actually have a lawyer yet? If not, he should come here and ask his questions. Giving or getting information third hand isn't the best way to learn about child custody.

LightTheBeacon

Don't misunderstand; those documents aren't a ticket out, they're just pieces of documentation. You won't be going to Dad's without a court order stating exactly that. That's entirely on Dad to accomplish. He should take the initiative to do that, and really all these other things we're discussing here.

I may have missed it somewhere in the thread, but what court is the original custody case in? Has jurisdiction ever been transferred to another court, or does that court still hold the case?

Does Dad actually have a lawyer yet? If not, he should come here and ask his questions. Giving or getting information third hand isn't the best way to learn about child custody.
The courthouse is in Ohio, it has never changed that I actually have knowledge of. I am almost positive the court still has the case.

He should be getting a lawyer soon, today is Monday... He will contact one, but my father does not know how to really use the internet, so this is not an option for him... Also, I had a guardian ad litem at one point in time. I will hopefully be contacting her on Wednesday, as my father said it should help.

As I have stated before, I'm just terrified of what my mother will do when she sees the court order and I am still living with her..

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Out of curiosity... Given that you apparently have Internet access, seem relatively intelligent and know the deficiencies in your education... Why are you not doing something to fill those gaps on your own?

LightTheBeacon

Out of curiosity... Given that you apparently have Internet access, seem relatively intelligent and know the deficiencies in your education... Why are you not doing something to fill those gaps on your own?
I have tried before, I don't know what people my age are learning in school. What part of history? What part of science? I have difficulties when trying to learn without actually having someone to teach me, walk me along with it. Along with the fact I rarely have time to myself anymore unless it is midnight and everyone is asleep and by then I am ready for bed.

Silverplum

I have tried before, I don't know what people my age are learning in school. What part of history? What part of science? I have difficulties when trying to learn without actually having someone to teach me, walk me along with it. Along with the fact I rarely have time to myself anymore unless it is midnight and everyone is asleep and by then I am ready for bed.
That doesn't matter much, especially if your formal education ended years ago. Pick a subject, read and learn. :)

I have a Person In My Life who was deprived of education by her parents. She read and learned on her own, and has been extremely successful in life. She owns her own business and has worked very hard for her success. I'm very, very proud of her. :)

Proserpina

The courthouse is in Ohio, it has never changed that I actually have knowledge of. I am almost positive the court still has the case.

He should be getting a lawyer soon, today is Monday... He will contact one, but my father does not know how to really use the internet, so this is not an option for him... Also, I had a guardian ad litem at one point in time. I will hopefully be contacting her on Wednesday, as my father said it should help.

As I have stated before, I'm just terrified of what my mother will do when she sees the court order and I am still living with her..

What exactly does Dad think your old GAL can do? Perhaps more to the point, why would you be contacting her at all?

torimac

Off topic: LTB, I would be happy to provide some guidance on homeschooling. I homeschool two kids (one is mine, one is a friend) and have lesson plans for 9th, 10th and 11th grades. Just send me a PM.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">