• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my parents hand custody over?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rawrzellers

Hello, right now I'm living in Washington with my mom and step dad and let's just say things aren't working well anymore. I've been pleading with my dad to take me back into his house be he said he won't until I'm 18. My mom does not want me living with her anymore, and even though she has to take care of me she, we don't interact well with each other. My dad is in California so it's not like I can just show up on his door step either.

My question is, can my mom hand over sole custody to my dad because she doesn't want me anymore? Would this fall under Washington Law or California Law?

LdiJ

Hello, right now I'm living in Washington with my mom and step dad and let's just say things aren't working well anymore. I've been pleading with my dad to take me back into his house be he said he won't until I'm 18. My mom does not want me living with her anymore, and even though she has to take care of me she, we don't interact well with each other. My dad is in California so it's not like I can just show up on his door step either.

My question is, can my mom hand over sole custody to my dad because she doesn't want me anymore? Would this fall under Washington Law or California Law?
Yes, your mother could hand you over into your father's custody, assuming that he is able and willing to take custody.

Antigone*

He is able to take custody but he doesn't want to. Would the court be able to force him?
There are so many variables here ~ variables that do not involve you. At this point you need to listen to mom who is the primary custodian. If dad says he cannot take you then, he cannot take you.

You must learn how to live with mom under her rules.

LdiJ

There are so many variables here ~ variables that do not involve you. At this point you need to listen to mom who is the primary custodian. If dad says he cannot take you then, he cannot take you.

You must learn how to live with mom under her rules.
I agree. The courts certainly cannot force dad to take you. You need to learn to live under mom's rules.

mistoffolees

I agree. The courts certainly cannot force dad to take you. You need to learn to live under mom's rules.
The alternative is to keep behaving in a way that causes Mom to throw you out. You'll then be in the hands of CPS - which is not where you want to be.

If you really can't stand it, then have your mother talk to your father. He may be saying he can't take you until you're 18 because that's what the court order says. If Mom indicates to him that she would be happy for you to go, it may change his opinion.

Again, how old are you?

Rawrzellers

I'm 17 and I'll be 18 in 6 months but this isn't about rules but more of both her and my step dad are alcoholics and I have a vast array of mental issues that aren't being taken care of. My mom and dad don't talk to each other anymore.

mistoffolees

I'm 17 and I'll be 18 in 6 months but this isn't about rules but more of both her and my step dad are alcoholics and I have a vast array of mental issues that aren't being taken care of. My mom and dad don't talk to each other anymore.
Well, you'll get a chance to act like a grownup sooner than you should. It's unfortunate, but you have to play the hand you're dealt.

If they're violent or dangerous, call CPS. If they're not providing you with essentials (food, shelter, etc), call CPS.

You can ask your dad why he won't let you live there until you're 18. His reason might help people here to give other advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">