• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can a non-biological father get custody?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lizmyers

What is the name of your state? florida

i concieved a child with another man while married to my husband, and never told my husband that it was not his child. we recently divorced and in the proceedings i gave hime primary residence of our two year old son. soon there after i did not aggree with his living situation and left state with my son, with out his or the courts permission. In an effort to remove my husband from mine and my sons life i located the actual biological father and had him d.n.a tested, proving that my husband is indeed not my sons biological father. My husband filed for custody while i was out o state and it was granted. He intends to fight for custody even though both of my sons biological parents wish to raise him and are in no way unfit. Is it possible for him to get custody of a child that isn't even his? what rights does the biological father have?

D

DChristian112

Ouch, does the non- bio dad know now even though DNA tests have been proven that he is NOT the bio- father?

I am thinking two things here...
In MN, I am not familar with FL laws, but the courts will recognize the husband as the father, until DNA proves otherwise...
SO I am thinking, but I am not positive, so don't quote me...
That, Fl will grant him visitation? (As to not uprrot child from the father he thinks is his Daddy)

Or this, what state do you live in now? Still Fl?

The biological Father can file for visitation and custody. If he is indeed the boi- dad, then he has all rights.
Which makes me think that non- bio does not have any...
Ok, just be patient, someone who knows FL will answer indefinately.
But I am sure that the bio dad DOES have all of his rights. He is the father, afterall...
Good Luck and God Bless!

P

PerfidyorFealty

Oh man. You really suck, lady. You lie to your husband and claim that he's the father of a child you know isn't his, allow him to bond with the child, leave the child with him and run off and give him custody, decide you dont like something and snatch the child from him and take off to another state. What nerve you have. Then you're surprised when he wants the child back? And what's funny is that you don't even want to raise the child yourself, you want the bio-father's parents to raise the kid. Well, one thing's for sure, YOU shouldn't get custody of the child. Why did you even HAVE a child in the first place? It sure wasn't because you wanted to be a mother.

skyy

I'm not sure about custody since I've never checked FL laws, but I've seen people get visitation since they've acted in a parental roll. He probably can't take custody from you and biodad if you're both fit, but for him to act in a father capacity and allowed to form a bond under that assumption probably will carry some weight in granting visitation.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Since you permitted him to take on the role of legal father - he may well have a firm leg to stand on for gaining custody. I hope he fights his hardest to raise the child *you* told him was his.

L

lizmyers

[ . [/B][/QUOTE] first of all im going to go on the assumption that you yourself have never made a mistake! second I have been and wish to continue raising my son. i never abandoned him. i gave my husband primary residence because i left my marriage with nothing and he at that time could provide a better inviornment. now that i am established that is no longer the case. i wish only to right my wrongs and allow my sons biological father to play the role that i never allowed him to, I do not want his parents to raise my son. and lastly this is a legal advice forum, not your personal insult stage so save your pathetic judgements for someone who will entertain them, no one but god can judge me thank you!

karma1

All's I got to say....

those poor kids.
And did you honestly think this "secret" would never come out?
You talk about judgements and God--dont you think you played God with all of their lives? And for this to come out now--you're seeking the real bio dads involvement--this suspicioulsy smacks of revenge and nothing more.
My legal advice to you-get an attorney, seek counseling.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Re: All's I got to say....

lovingwife said:
those poor kids.
And did you honestly think this "secret" would never come out?
You talk about judgements and God--dont you think you played God with all of their lives? And for this to come out now--you're seeking the real bio dads involvement--this suspicioulsy smacks of revenge and nothing more.
My legal advice to you-get an attorney, seek counseling.
This screws both men, and the child. This sort of **** gives bioMoms a bad name.

B

briannah

there is no right answer to this problem that i can see. you screwed up big time & now the kids are gonna get drug through this. you need to do some serious soul searching & do your best to right this wrong. do the kids wanna be with the guy who they believe to be the dad?? why do you consider his enviroment to be unsuitable? Hindsight is always 20/20, but for god's sake don't get pregnant with one mans baby when you're married to another!!!:confused:

L

lizmyers

[ ]what is the point of a free advice forum when the people involved wish only to put another down? i came here looking for advice not judgement and all you people can do is tell me how horrible i am. do you not think that i know this?do you not think that i have thought about the mistake that i made every day of my life??i believe human is the word, yes i am human ! thank you so much for all of your high horse opinions, they are really very helpful in solving my problems. contrary to what all you people seem to belive i have my sons best interest in mind and i am trying to fix this problem before he is old enough to remember what has happened. i am very well aware that all of this could have been avoid had i never cheated on my husband , but the act of the matter is that i did. and now i am in a god awful mess[ ]i appreciate all the sensitivity!![/ ] :confused:

D

DChristian112

Originally Posted by:lizmyers
what is the point of a free advice forum when the people involved wish only to put another down? i came here looking for advice not judgement and all you people can do is tell me how horrible i am. do you not think that i know this?do you not think that i have thought about the mistake that i made every day of my life??i believe human is the word, yes i am human ! thank you so much for all of your high horse opinions, they are really very helpful in solving my problems. contrary to what all you people seem to belive i have my sons best interest in mind and i am trying to fix this problem before he is old enough to remember what has happened. i am very well aware that all of this could have been avoid had i never cheated on my husband , but the act of the matter is that i did. and now i am in a god awful mess[ ]i appreciate all the sensitivity!![/ ]
Listen sweetheart, I have had my fair share of having my arse chewed and spit out on this forum. You willnever get the sympathy you are desiring.
This forum may say: Free advice,
but that does not mean that other's are not entitled to their own damn opinions.
I believe it falls under our constitutioanl rights, I think it is like our first amendement that states: FREEDOM OF SPEECH!
This forum does not ask other posters to keep their opinions to themselves. They cannot do that- it would be unconstitutional.
And, I am not judging, but you did bring all this information, half of which was completly unneccessary, to this post.
You could of simply asked, can the man that raised my child get custody if he is not the father... You did not have to come out with all the adulterous facts, although, I guess if gave those who wanted to give you legal advice more of the story.
Anyway, do not expect not to get sh*t on...it happens.
Good Luck and God Bless!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Who would have thought that there was a skankier skank than
DChristian?

I almost feel like I should apologize to DChristian because our writer actually makes DChristian look like a "saint."

Remember, I said "almost."

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">