• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can Non-Custodial parent make activities decisions?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Liberty2003

What is the name of your state? Ohio

My ex-husband thinks that my children (ages 10 & 12) are involved in too many activities and now all of a sudden wants to be involved in the decision making when it comes to letting them do things. Most of these activities fall on my time with them (I am the custodial parent) and sometimes they might have a Girl Scout event that falls on his weekend and he has to take them. They cheerlead in the fall and for 8 weeks they have games every Saturday that he takes them to on his weekends. Do I have to worry about him getting involved in the decision making or do I as the custodial parent have the right to make decisions when it comes to things like that?

Whyte Noise

What does your decree say about legal custody? Not physical custody, as you've stated that you are the CP in that area.

bugaboo

This is what gets to me...
"Do I have to worry about him getting involved in the decision making or do I as the custodial parent have the right to make decisions when it comes to things like that?"

What, did you have these children out of immaculate conception? Was the father not involved in bringing these children into the world? Yeah, he SHOULD have a say in what HIS children do...ESPECIALLY if it does fall on HIS time with them. As the "custodial parent" you DO NOT have the right to take away his rights as a parent...his kids, his time, his decision. Period.

L

Liberty2003

More about decision making

It says in my divorce papers that I am granted parental rights and responsibilities of the children as residential and custodial parent. And I am NOT trying to keep my children away from their father...I didn't even want to bring this into it but he is an alcoholic that just got his 3rd DUI and his license is suspended because of it. We've been divorced for 8 years and now all of a sudden since he can't drive he and his new wife are hassling my children about how many activities they are involved in. I just wanted to know what my rights were as the residential and custodial parent to ask his "permission" for my kids to go to Girl Scouts on Tuesday nights when it isn't even his time with them.

bugaboo

It's really quite simple...as long as it does not interfere with his time...you don't have to ask "permission" Just make sure the activities you put them in doesn't happen during his time...if it does, than he has every right to gripe about it. You would if the tables were turned. If you want your kids in sports...than you should not expect him to take HIS time with him to make sure they get to their games. What he does with his time...you can't say.

haiku

his 'faults" have nothing to do with the fact he IS the other parent.

What yo udo on your time with the kids is fine, BUT he has every right NOT to take the kids to activities YOU have planned on HIS time.

G

Grandma B

Ideally, if the children wish to join an activity which would occur during his parenting time, you would discuss the matter with their father before enrolling them in the activity. He could then state his opposition or give his blessing (with the best interest of the children in mind).

It's unusual in this day and age for the custodial parent to have the total say-so in decisions regarding the children. Kudos to those judges awarding joint custody and to states requiring parenting plans.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">