• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a noncustodial parent receive calworks benefits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

snotface

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

We have joint custody (I am considered the primary caretaker at 60% time with our son as opposed to the father's 40% time). The father has informed the courts as well as me and I have found out through other means that he is receiving calworks cash aid benefits for our son as well as many other benefits through the welfare department. I do not need calworks or assistance myself as I have a stable income and would not qualify. However, I do receive medi-cal for our son which has been terminated abruptly because he was automatically enrolled in medi-cal through calworks under his father's care. It seems funny to me how all of a sudden these responsibilities have been taken from me and are now in the father's care without my knowledge of any of our son's medi-cal information now.

We are currently in a custody battle because the father lost his job and became homeless so while our son is in his care, he is homeless. He has just been granted a rental subsidy as well as the cash aid.

I feel that the only way the father could be receiving these benefits is by claiming that I am an absent parent, which clearly I am not and I have the court order among many other things as proof.

I was told by 3 calworks supervisors that proof is not needed to justify custody claims as many parents have never established this in court. He could have easily said we never went to court. It seems to me that calworks would have access to this information somehow. What a broken system if they don't!

Is there any way a father without being a primary caretaker could be eligible for such services or do I have a just cause to file for an investigation?

And is it fair that he now has control over our son's medical insurance without my knowledge of any of that information? Shouldn't I be able to prove that I am a primary caretaker and in turn, be allowed to find out our son's medi-cal insurance information????

Thanks for any advice... this custody battle just keeps getting stickier and stickier.

gr8rn

Please stick to your previous thread and don't open a new one every time something new happens. I responded to your previous thread.

MichaCA

Dad may also not be eligable for the housing assistance. FYI they do not communicate with Calworks/Tanf, medical aid. I may be wrong but I believe one has to have at least 50/50 physical custody to qualify.

Make sure you let the courts know that by doing this, you lost your Medi-cal insurance for child. Although in a way that doesn't make sense either because you should be sharing it. I would talk to the medi-cal worker about either using that insurance or re-establishing yours.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">