• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a parent give up parental rights in Va?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

VaMom

I was wondering if a parent can voluntarily give up parental rights (in Virginia) with the other parents permission? I realize this can be done if there is a stepfather willing to adopt. I just wanted to know if this can be done if without an adoption. Thanks.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
The court doesn't generally allow a parent to walk away from his/her obligation to support a child unless there is someone willing to step in.

nextwife

Interestingly, however, a single person may adopt and have BOTH parents sign off their parental rights to them, but a single parent who is the bioparent cannot have the other parent (in most states) sign off their parental rights to them.

Grace_Adler

In VA, you don't need someone to adopt in order to have do a TPR. However, I believe the CP has to be the one to petition the court. Also, all ongoing child support ends, except for arrears unless legally released from that obligation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">