+ Reply to Thread
    VaMom Guest

Question

I was wondering if a parent can voluntarily give up parental rights (in Virginia) with the other parents permission? I realize this can be done if there is a stepfather willing to adopt. I just wanted to know if this can be done if without an adoption. Thanks.
    luvdldy Guest
    I am curious about this as well.
    stealth2 is offline Senior Member
    The court doesn't generally allow a parent to walk away from his/her obligation to support a child unless there is someone willing to step in.
    nextwife is offline Senior Member
    Interestingly, however, a single person may adopt and have BOTH parents sign off their parental rights to them, but a single parent who is the bioparent cannot have the other parent (in most states) sign off their parental rights to them.
    Grace_Adler is offline Senior Member
    In VA, you don't need someone to adopt in order to have do a TPR. However, I believe the CP has to be the one to petition the court. Also, all ongoing child support ends, except for arrears unless legally released from that obligation.