+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    VaMom Guest


    I was wondering if a parent can voluntarily give up parental rights (in Virginia) with the other parents permission? I realize this can be done if there is a stepfather willing to adopt. I just wanted to know if this can be done if without an adoption. Thanks.

  2. #2
    luvdldy Guest
    I am curious about this as well.

  3. #3
    stealth2 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    The court doesn't generally allow a parent to walk away from his/her obligation to support a child unless there is someone willing to step in.

  4. #4
    nextwife is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Interestingly, however, a single person may adopt and have BOTH parents sign off their parental rights to them, but a single parent who is the bioparent cannot have the other parent (in most states) sign off their parental rights to them.

  5. #5
    Grace_Adler is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    In VA, you don't need someone to adopt in order to have do a TPR. However, I believe the CP has to be the one to petition the court. Also, all ongoing child support ends, except for arrears unless legally released from that obligation.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-20-2011, 02:57 AM
  2. Parent wants to give up parental rights and allow me to adopt?
    By Forestgrump in forum Child Custody & Visitation
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-28-2007, 10:26 PM
  3. give up parental rights
    By moleman in forum Child Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-22-2004, 10:17 AM
  4. needs to give up parental rights
    By misseyelkins in forum Marriage, Domestic Partnerships and Other Family Law Matters
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-27-2002, 08:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

© Since 1995 Advice Company, All Rights Reserved

FreeAdvice® has been providing millions of consumers with outstanding advice, free, since 1995. While not a substitute for personal advice from a licensed professional, it is available AS IS, subject to our Disclaimer and Terms & Conditions Of Use.