+ Reply to Thread
    VaMom Guest

Question

I was wondering if a parent can voluntarily give up parental rights (in Virginia) with the other parents permission? I realize this can be done if there is a stepfather willing to adopt. I just wanted to know if this can be done if without an adoption. Thanks.

luvdldy Guest
    I am curious about this as well.

The court doesn't generally allow a parent to walk away from his/her obligation to support a child unless there is someone willing to step in.

Interestingly, however, a single person may adopt and have BOTH parents sign off their parental rights to them, but a single parent who is the bioparent cannot have the other parent (in most states) sign off their parental rights to them.

In VA, you don't need someone to adopt in order to have do a TPR. However, I believe the CP has to be the one to petition the court. Also, all ongoing child support ends, except for arrears unless legally released from that obligation.

+ Reply to Thread