• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can paternal grandparents take me to court for visitation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your statWhat is the name of your state?ohio
What are the chances of the paternal grandparents of my daughter taking me to court for visitation rights and getting them? Their son has no visitaion what so ever. For anybody who has not read any of my other posts I will give a brief summary of why. He has been sexually abusing my daughter for the past two years and I have the proof but children's services won't charge with anything because of who his family is. He lived with his parents the whole time this was going on. They knew it was happening in their house and chose to ignore it. I feel that they should be punished as well for not protecting their own grandchild. I think they are going to try to get visitation but can they really get it while their son is technically still living with them? (they said the father is living in Texas but there is no proof of that. They said that before but I found out he was still there and was hiding his truck in their garage so I wouldn't know he was still in town) The court order I have states that he is to have no visitation, no face to face contact, and no telephone contact with my daughter. I have told his parents that they can come to my house to see her, but that is not good enough for them. They want all or nothing. I am not going to send my daughter with people I don't trust. I should also point out that his mother has the inside connection to children's services. Can they get visitation through the court or am I just worrying for nothing?
e?

brisgirl825

Your case sounds complicated so I highly recommend seeking legal counsel.

Have the abuse allegations been investigated by police? Is he awaiting trial?

LdiJ

nojusticeinohio said:
What is the name of your statWhat is the name of your state?ohio
What are the chances of the paternal grandparents of my daughter taking me to court for visitation rights and getting them? Their son has no visitaion what so ever. For anybody who has not read any of my other posts I will give a brief summary of why. He has been sexually abusing my daughter for the past two years and I have the proof but children's services won't charge with anything because of who his family is. He lived with his parents the whole time this was going on. They knew it was happening in their house and chose to ignore it. I feel that they should be punished as well for not protecting their own grandchild. I think they are going to try to get visitation but can they really get it while their son is technically still living with them? (they said the father is living in Texas but there is no proof of that. They said that before but I found out he was still there and was hiding his truck in their garage so I wouldn't know he was still in town) The court order I have states that he is to have no visitation, no face to face contact, and no telephone contact with my daughter. I have told his parents that they can come to my house to see her, but that is not good enough for them. They want all or nothing. I am not going to send my daughter with people I don't trust. I should also point out that his mother has the inside connection to children's services. Can they get visitation through the court or am I just worrying for nothing?
e?
They would have "standing" to sue, which basically means that they would meet the qualifications to sue for visitation. That does not mean that they would win. Its difficult for a grandparent to win a visitation case, and it gets more difficult if the grandparent is in denial regarding the problems of their own child, or when its likely that they might facilitate contact between the parent and the child if the courts have denied that contact.

Stick to your guns on your decision that they need to visit in your home. If they do sue you, you want to find an attorney who is truly familiar with these types of cases.

If you have ever been thinking about moving, you should be aware that it is not possible for a grandparent to sue for visitation in the state of Florida.

The police said they can't do anything until children's services tells them to and that doesn't look like it's ever going to happen. Maybe they'll take it seriously when he does it to somebody else's child. People like that are sick and once they do it to one child they don't think twice about doing it again. Especially since he's getting away with it. At this point, I don't want my daughter to have contact with any of his family and fortunately for the time being I don't have to let them see her. Thanks for your advice.

LdiJ

nojusticeinohio said:
The police said they can't do anything until children's services tells them to and that doesn't look like it's ever going to happen. Maybe they'll take it seriously when he does it to somebody else's child. People like that are sick and once they do it to one child they don't think twice about doing it again. Especially since he's getting away with it. At this point, I don't want my daughter to have contact with any of his family and fortunately for the time being I don't have to let them see her. Thanks for your advice.
If they do sue...come back here and post on the grandparent issues board. There are people out there who can help you.

eseertap

After reading this post, I wondered if the grandparent can receive visitation rights if the father is deceased.

LdiJ

eseertap said:
After reading this post, I wondered if the grandparent can receive visitation rights if the father is deceased.
Again, the grandparents would have standing to sue. Again, its not guaranteed that they would win.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">