• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can some one help my Aunt? Grandparent wanting to take custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JMD_62

What is the name of your state?California

My Aunt has supported my cousin, his girlfriend, and their one year child, for the past year. There are now complications, and my Aunt wants to take custody. She can easily prove, through records and bills, that she has in fact been supporting all three.

My question is, where does my Aunt stand legally? Can she take custody? Would she win in court? If my cousin signs over custody, how hard would it be to win custody from the mother? With out my Aunts finacial support my cousin, the girlfriend, and the child, would have no place of residence, or source of income.
Help?

Concerned Nephew

LdiJ

JMD_62 said:
What is the name of your state?California

My Aunt has supported my cousin, his girlfriend, and their one year child, for the past year. There are now complications, and my Aunt wants to take custody. She can easily prove, through records and bills, that she has in fact been supporting all three.

My question is, where does my Aunt stand legally? Can she take custody? Would she win in court? If my cousin signs over custody, how hard would it be to win custody from the mother? With out my Aunts finacial support my cousin, the girlfriend, and the child, would have no place of residence, or source of income.
Help?

Concerned Nephew
Well, without knowing the "complications" its not really possible to give you advice. The fact that she has been supporting them is NOT grounds to obtain custody of the child. She would have to prove both parents legally unfit, and that is not easy to do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">