• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can someone other than husband obtain custody of my children in the event of my death

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

007kim

What is the name of your state?MS
My husband hit me with his fist in the back of my head tonight. In the event of my death, could someone else get custody of my 2 children?

casa

007kim said:
What is the name of your state?MS
My husband hit me with his fist in the back of my head tonight. In the event of my death, could someone else get custody of my 2 children?
Did you file a police report? Because unless you report this behavior in order to prove it in court- And unless you leave this abusive person to provide a healthier environment for your child....If you ever died, he'd get custody. If you establish he is abusive and dangerous you may be able to terminate or order supervised visitation with him and the children- THEN in the event you died, a court would consider another relative fighting for custody.

If you allow this in your home, you are damaging your children- therefore becoming a part of the problem yourself.

my ex is psycho

007kim said:
In the event of my death, could someone else get custody of my 2 children?
From what I have been told- your kids will go to him. My oldest has not seen her father for over 11 years (she is 12) and I have been told, even if I ask for it in a will or other written means, chances are good she would go to her father....

BelizeBreeze

Unless your husband has been found unfit and his parental rights have been terminated, then no, he is their father. And especially when you are not divorced.

Children are not property. You cannot 'will' them or give them away.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">