• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can Step Dad get custody of my kids if i Die

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbiebeamer

Belize Breeze

What Are You Talking About.no Where Did I Ever Say Step Dad Is Against Adoption.understand My Frustration That Who Cannot Or Did Not Read My Posts.try Again

BelizeBreeze

bobbiebeamer said:
What Are You Talking About.no Where Did I Ever Say Step Dad Is Against Adoption.understand My Frustration That Who Cannot Or Did Not Read My Posts.try Again
I gave you a very thorough answer with options. I never once said that your husband did not want to adopt.

Now YOU read and understand.

I'm done with you.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
bobbiebeamer said:
This title indicated that he may be against it:

bobbiebeamer said:
Another alternative, if stepdad is against adoption, would be to file a consent petit

bobbiebeamer

Casa

If you look at those post again I didn't write them except for the one that he doesn't want to have to pay for them if it doesn't work out. Someone else title those posts and wrote it.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
bobbiebeamer said:
Those quotes are not what I wrote. Someone wrote that to me.
Then please learn how to use the quote feature, as placing them in the title makes it appear that you typed them. That may be part of why people are having trouble understanding what you post.

bobbiebeamer

For All Of You That Thought These Posts Were Mine

Mbarr said:
Another alternative, if stepdad is against adoption, would be to file a consent petition for stepdad to be joint custodian with mom.
That is who wrote that..............

nextwife

bobbiebeamer said:
My husband has 4 kids from a previous marriage which he adopted one and the youngest was the result of an affair and isn't his however he pays for all of them. If he adopts my kids does domestic relations look at that as a responsability that he must support as well. He has done this before and as soon as the adoption was legal after years she kicked him out and filed for divorce. So he know must pay for her.
Please advise
The fact that he is financially responsible for 4 children already may be why it was inferred from your post that this may be the case.

As an adoptive parent, I'm curious if the financially capablity to adopt is looked at for stepparents the way it is for the rest of us adoptive parents. We had to provide a financial statement, assets & debts list, proof of continued employment, etc. and SHOW on paper that we were financially capable of assuming responsibilty for just the ONE child.

Mbarr

bobbiebeamer said:
Does my husband have to adopt my kids to have any kind of rights to them.

My husband has 4 kids from a previous marriage which he adopted one and the youngest was the result of an affair and isn't his however he pays for all of them.

If he adopts my kids does domestic relations look at that as a responsability that he must support as well. He has done this before and as soon as the adoption was legal after years she kicked him out and filed for divorce. So he know must pay for her.
Please advise
Bobbiebeamer, I thought you were implying that your husband does not want to adopt because of his prior bad experience. I apologize for any confusion my post has caused.

You and your husband need to contact a local attorney to get the adoption started right away. As BB pointed out, you could die tomorrow and the grandparents could get custody of your kids. There's no further advice you need from this site; don't delay if you want to ensure that your husband is the one to raise your children in the event of your death.

Mbarr

nextwife said:
The fact that he is financially responsible for 4 children already may be why it was inferred from your post that this may be the case.

As an adoptive parent, I'm curious if the financially capablity to adopt is looked at for stepparents the way it is for the rest of us adoptive parents. We had to provide a financial statement, assets & debts list, proof of continued employment, etc. and SHOW on paper that we were financially capable of assuming responsibilty for just the ONE child.
Not in AL. And if the stepparent has been in the home with the child for over 1 year, the Court generally waives the requirement for a home investigation.

nextwife

You know, that is pretty amazing. We had to jump through a million hoops, prove our medical condition, get refereneces, be checked out by the police and FBI, and so on, just to get our one child out of the orphanage and become their legal parent. And this a child who did not even already have ANY legal parents!

Yet, a step can adopt many kids, taking on the same financial responsibilty for them that one does in a non-relative adoption, and actually removing the financial responsibilty of an existing parent, without any significant qualifying requirements. It blows me away! A man can become dad to 8 kids in the blink of an eye, but I couldn't even be allowed to adopt ONE without a thorough going over to make certain we could afford to provide for her AND were capable and qualified to take on the parenting role!

Last edited:

Zephyr

et, a step can adopt many kids, taking on the same financial responsibilty for them that one does in a non-relative adoption, and actually removing the financial responsibilty of an existing paren

however in this case one of the bio parents is encouraging the adoption, don't you think that carries some weight? it's not then the states responsibilty to ensure a proper home it's the parents

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">