• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can stepmother be legal guardian?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blackbird

What is the name of your state? NEVADA

I am divorced witha 5 year old child. Our divorce papers state my ex-wife and myself have joint legal custody and I have full physical custody. I have now engaged, soon to be married, and myself and my son and my fiancee live together.

I want to know if there is anyway that my fiancee can obtain any kind of legal guardianship of my son. I am not trying to take parental rights away from his natural mother, however I do want my fiancee, soon to be my sons stepmother to the right to be able to act legally on his behalf if I am not present, is there any way to do this?

Thanks!

moburkes

I don't think she needs to be legal guardian, or can be. You can simply give her power of attorney to act on your behalf in SPECIFIC situations.

CJane

however I do want my fiancee, soon to be my sons stepmother to the right to be able to act legally on his behalf if I am not present, is there any way to do this?

Thanks!
It really depends on what you're wanting to give her the power to do.

How involved is the child's mother?

haiku

having played the step parenting game for almost 10 years now, I can think of NO reason it would ever be neccesary for a step parent to need any sort of "guardianship" or "POA"

moburkes

I agree. Except if mom doesn't live nearby, and for example, step mom needs to enroll child in school. Given, its a stretch, but I'm wracking my branin trying to think of a reason.

CJane

I agree. Except if mom doesn't live nearby, and for example, step mom needs to enroll child in school. Given, its a stretch, but I'm wracking my branin trying to think of a reason.
See, I was thinking that maybe SMom needed to take the child for regular medical treatments or something, and Mom couldn't do it.

Still not working for me though.

I know that my Ex would love to be able to do this though so that SMom could seek medical treatment/counseling/etc for the girls 'on his behalf' which = without my knowledge/consent. That one was nipped in the bud by the judge.

moburkes

See, I was thinking that maybe SMom needed to take the child for regular medical treatments or something, and Mom couldn't do it.

Still not working for me though.

I know that my Ex would love to be able to do this though so that SMom could seek medical treatment/counseling/etc for the girls 'on his behalf' which = without my knowledge/consent. That one was nipped in the bud by the judge.
As it should have been. OP your future wife is a legal stranger to your child. Would you allow mom to give a stranger the ability to act on her behalf for your child? It doesn't work that way. Just the same way that previous wife was the love of your life, and you are no longer together, the same could happen again.

We really are trying to think of an argument to help you, but I can't, off the top of my head.

haiku

there is no reason for a step mom to have to enroll a kid in school. none.

and even if you take a kid to a doctor on occasion, still no need for a POA.

When my kid goes to grandmas for the week, I don't give my mom gaurdianship or a POA either******************************************.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">