• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can we move while custody case is ongoing?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ALDad1

What is the name of your state? AL

I apologize in advance, but I'm going to be purposely vague because the grandmother might be lurking and better safe than sorry. I will try to provide more info if needed.

My wife and I are both living and married to each other (I know that changs things sometimes). Our situation is that the grandmother is trying to take custody of our young children. She originally called DHR, but when they came out and found nothing to be wrong, she went around them and sued for custody of the children in family court.

DHR and the children's GAL are on our side and ready to testify on our behalf, but grandmother keeps filing for continuances. DHR says they must keep the case open while there is a legal situation ongoing.

In the meantime, my job is asking me to relocate out of state. Is there anything that would prevent us from relocating as long as we're willing to travel back to attend court? I'm sure we would need to talk to DHR about this, but we feel that they would be okay with it. If necessary, we would be okay with them making contact with the equivalent to DHR in the state where we are moving so they could come out and check on us if needed. The grandmother is not aware of the relocation offer or our intention to move.

I like my job and want to keep it and we are scared that this ridiculous situation with the grandmother may cause me to lose it. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited:

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? AL

I apologize in advance, but I'm going to be purposely vague because the grandmother might be lurking and better safe than sorry. I will try to provide more info if needed.

My wife and I are both living and married to each other (I know that changs things sometimes). Our situation is that the grandmother is trying to take custody of our young children. She originally called DHR, but when they came out and found nothing to be wrong, she went around them and sued for custody of the children in family court.

DHR and the children's GAL are on our side and ready to testify on our behalf, but grandmother keeps filing for continuances. DHR says they must keep the case open while there is a legal situation ongoing.

In the meantime, my job is asking me to relocate out of state. Is there anything that would prevent us from relocating as long as we're willing to travel back to attend court? I'm sure we would need to talk to DHR about this, but we feel that they would be okay with it. If necessary, we would be okay with them making contact with the equivalent to DHR in the state where we are moving so they could come out and check on us if needed. The grandmother is not aware of the relocation offer or our intention to move.

I like my job and want to keep it and we are scared that this ridiculous situation with the grandmother may cause me to lose it. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
You should be ok to move. However since there is a GAL involved in the case you absolutely should discuss it with the GAL.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">