• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can we use NCP address for school enrollment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bugsmom18

What is the name of your state? Iowa

I share joint custody of my DD with ex, but I have primary care. Her days with dad are Tues & Thurs 5-8 and EOW. We agreed on which school to send her to but recently found out that our open enrollment application was denied. The school district I live in has a desegregation policy.

Our question is this (since we can't afford private school): can we use the NCP's address for her school? His school district does not have a desegregation policy so open enrollment app would automatically be approved. Thanks for any help/advice.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Most probably not. What do your court orders state about address for school purposes? Also this sounds like fraud.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Iowa

I share joint custody of my DD with ex, but I have primary care. Her days with dad are Tues & Thurs 5-8 and EOW. We agreed on which school to send her to but recently found out that our open enrollment application was denied. The school district I live in has a desegregation policy.

Our question is this (since we can't afford private school): can we use the NCP's address for her school? His school district does not have a desegregation policy so open enrollment app would automatically be approved. Thanks for any help/advice.
Maybe...some states have been changing their laws to allow children of divorced or separated parents to be enrolled in either parent's school district. (my state, for example) However, you should probably consult with someone local to get the answer to that question.

bugsmom18

order is silent

Our order does not say anything regarding school (she was 2 when it was entered). Neither of us want her in my school district and we can't afford private school so open enrollment is only option.

CJane

My kids use the NCP's address for school purposes - though we had it written into our order...

The school is aware that the children spend more time in a house out of district than in, and it's never been an issue. In fact, even when the ex leaves the district, my children would still be allowed to attend that school, provided I used a daycare provider in district.

LdiJ

Our order does not say anything regarding school (she was 2 when it was entered). Neither of us want her in my school district and we can't afford private school so open enrollment is only option.
Again, it depends on your state law. And we are not equipped to give you good answers. Get a consult with a local attorney.

Ohiogal is an attorney in OH...and she told you it could be "fraud"...however she obviously doesn't know that other states have changed the rules on that issue. She may be right, it may be fraud in your state....but if your state is like mine, and has changed the rules, then she could be completely wrong.

So...get a consult with a local attorney...don't rely on an internet message forum.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
OP - why did you ignore my question?

What did the SCHOOL say when you asked them? You DID ask them, right?

bugsmom18

Zigner

Sorry I overlooked your question. I did talk to the school and the person there didn't know the rules on that. The school where we wanted her to go said "oh yeah, that should work". But I thought maybe I should get a more CONCRETE answer. I'm going to call my lawyer that handled my divorce. Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">