• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Casa/GAL

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ashley361

What is the name of your state?Texas

Is it right for our atty to have the opposing side suggest the Amicus Atty or GAL? Can we try to go through an organization like CASA/GAL program to represent my child? She has been dx. with Post Dramatic Stress due to mental and verbal abuse and neglect by her mother. I do not feel comfortable using my ex's atty suggestion for a atty for my child. Any Suggestion???? Can this organization represent her in court?

Last edited:

casa

ashley361 said:
What is the name of your state?Texas

Is it right for our atty to have the opposing side suggest the Amicus Atty or GAL? Can we try to go through an organization like CASA/GAL program to represent my child? She has been dx. with Post Dramatic Stress due to mental and verbal abuse and neglect by her mother. I do not feel comfortable using my ex's atty suggestion for a atty for my child. Any Suggestion???? Can this organization represent her in court?
Typically you can ask your attorney to request the court appoint one, rather than using one selected by the other sides' attorney- IF the court doesn't already do that. Either side can request a CASA/GAL, but the court usually selects one from a court approved list.

It's Post Traumatic Stress - caused by trauma. If your child has this diagnosis, then the abuse/trauma seems to already have been established. A CASA/GAL will report what is in the best interest of the child, and with Dr. confirmation of this diagnosis- it seems the case is good.

Is the child in counseling?

ashley361

This is the court appointed Amicus....

Texas
According to our atty the court appt. Amicus is the same as the one suggested by my ex's atty. We live in a small town and the list is not too extensive. We have to pay a 100% for this atty because we asked for one. And my ex does not want my daughter to have her own atty to represent her best interest. She also refuses to pay half. And that is fine. I just feel like I am having to give in to everything my ex's atty ask of our atty. I am the CP she signed over joint with me being the CP. There was no fight, the judge did not order it. She just didn't want to be bothered. Yes, daughter is seeing a therapist once a month and a family counselor once a week. She does not see the FC on the week that she sees the therapist. She saw the therapist today. They do not have her on meds due to the fact that we have a very good support system at home and my daughter is still a A+ student. My family is very supportive and understanding when she comes home upset and depressed. We do all that we can to get her adjusted. My daughter has told her mother, doctors, therapist and counselor she does not want to see her(mother) that often. My daughter had stated once every 2 months, 1 holiday, and 14 days in summer is enough. She is 7 and has this down to exact amounts. She states she does not care to see mother because she is mean to her. All medical prof. in this case say mother is just doing this to get back at me. I never thought of my daughter as a pon.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">