• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cause for removal of Son?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hulksmash

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Child is in NY State, I'm in Oregon

I'm not sure if I should be posting this in this section, or in abuse so please bear with me. Spoke to my son this morning to see how he was doing. His mother left last night on a trip for two weeks to France. My son is 17 and is currently in placement at a school for troubled kids I guess is the best way to describe it. He lives on campus, receives therapy, job training, schooling, the like. Wanted to see how he was doing with his mother leaving to make sure he was ok emotionally.

I come to find out that he is not on campus. He is actually home for the two weeks that she is gone. She purchased groceries and left him with $20. I'm awaiting to hear from him now if he has an emergency point of contact in case of something going wrong. My first inclination is to call the police and file a report with CPS. He turns 18 in November and at that time will be coming to live with me. But at this junction, he's 17 and is not the most stable when it comes to fending for himself. What leg do I have to stand on in this situation? Am I just overreacting to what may be a perfectly normal situation given his close proximity to 18? Or am I right in my reading of the situation given his emotional immaturity, and what is the best course of action?

Ultimately I do want him with me, but I want to do it through the proper channels. Filing a CPS report, should I be prepared to purchase a ticket for him to come out with me at this time, or will they just document?

Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">