• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

change custody agreement mother on drugs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mjzim98

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina
My husband is primary residential parent of his 14 yr old daughter with shared custody agreements. Juridiction for custody is in Florida as is mother with vistation rights, but we reside in NC. Mother has just been arrested for DUI, possession of various drugs, and child abuse. She has a 5 year old son as well. She lost temp custody of son, and has visitation 1 hour every 30 days until she completes 9 month program. We need to know what to do and what to file to stop our visitation schedule so his daughter won't have to go to Florida during all of this. We want full custody and supervised visits. Her mother has brainwashed and manipulated the children and tried to hide his daughter from him 2 weeks ago when he went to pick her up to start school back up here. HELP!! Please, we want to save her from more disasters, and don't know what steps we need to take without having to fork out thousand of more dollars for a lawyer.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
My husband is primary residential parent of his 14 yr old daughter with shared custody agreements. Juridiction for custody is in Florida as is mother with vistation rights, but we reside in NC. Mother has just been arrested for DUI, possession of various drugs, and child abuse. She has a 5 year old son as well. She lost temp custody of son, and has visitation 1 hour every 30 days until she completes 9 month program. We need to know what to do and what to file to stop our visitation schedule so his daughter won't have to go to Florida during all of this. We want full custody and supervised visits. Her mother has brainwashed and manipulated the children and tried to hide his daughter from him 2 weeks ago when he went to pick her up to start school back up here. HELP!! Please, we want to save her from more disasters, and don't know what steps we need to take without having to fork out thousand of more dollars for a lawyer.
We don't need to take any steps. Dad might need to take steps. You are welcome to be part of his support group, but there is no we in a court room.

LdiJ

Get rid of the whole "we" thing....that's just going to complicate things. Seriously, it will. You may be equally, emotionally invested but it will just hurt your husband if you continue with the "we".

Dad would have to file, in FL because FL has juridiction, to modify visitation. That probably means that dad needs to hire an FL attorney, because its difficult to handle interstate cases without one.

Please note that there is a significant difference between a 5 year old child and a 14 year old child when these kinds of issues are concerned. The concerns can be equal, but very different. While your husband can certainly use the fact that she has such limited and supervised visitation with the 5 year old as an argument, his arguments need to focus on the 14 year old and any concerns regarding the 14 year old.

mjzim98

Please don't misunderstand the "we" comments in my post. I am fully aware it is his responsibility, he has had custody since I met and married him 12 years ago when his daughter was 2. It feels like a "we" matter because I help him and have been through "*&*^&" with him through the years over matters concerning the mother. I appreciate your posts. He is trying to find a way to address issues in the court when she has a hearing regarding her child abuse, drug and DUI charges next week. It is a concern because his daughter is suppose to see her in November and there are serious safety and mental issues involved. Keep in mind his daughter was with her all summer and only came back a week before this took place, and there were multiple CPS investigations all summer while she was there. The mother hid his daughter from him for several days when he went to pick her up. He wants to find a way to tie things together and get issues resolved while it is all happening.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">