• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

change in custody arrangement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jamie93

My ex has given me permission for me to relocate and change our joint ( every other week ) custody arrangement. We don't want to go back to court however, we want something saying what the new aggreement is. What is the simplest way to do this?Is simply writing it all out and having it notarized with our signatures enough?

The change would be going from alternating every other week
( one week in each home) to two weekends a month and 6 weeks in summer with father and the remainder with mother excluding the usual alternating holidays.

BTW this is mississippi

Last edited:

haiku

unless your notorized paperwork is put before the judge, it will be considered worthless in court if things ever get rough between you and your ex. So you can go ahead and do this, knowing that if relations were to break down legally the original agreement would still stand, and the possibilty of contempt charges brought by one to the other.

Or, you could most likely call your courthouse, and see about filing fof modification on your own. As long as both parties are in agreement, it should not cost much at all, and you shouldnt need a lawyer.

A

Ashlee1443

Not too sure about only having a notarized document, that is, if the current visitation is court-ordered...I'm assuming that someone of legal authority would be the only person(s) that could ammend the order, legally. What about mediation? Present your new custody arrangement, and once it's approved by you and the ex, it will be legally put into place. Or, even though you don't want to go to court, a second option would be to present the arrangement to the judge, and have it approved this way. I would definetely contact an expert and find out what your options are before altering any legal orders. Maybe somone with more information will reply...Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">