• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Change of Custody (Material enough of a change of circumstance?)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

padair

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

May I please preemptively apologize for this threads length, I need to know if I should drop the five large on a retainer or not.

Background
I haven't posted here in a long while. I had my son when I was 22, I'm now 31. He is eight years old. We were never married.

Custody was defined when he was about one year old. Joint legal, she has primary physical, I get the standard alternating weekends and Wednesday nights.

A LOT has changed.
She marred a gentleman about six years ago or so. Had a son. While married she moved my son back and forth (80 miles) three or four times from living with him and living with her parents. The police were called out to their house for domestic disturbances multiple times, however, he is a police officer, so records have a way of disappearing.

They have been separated for around two years, possibly more. She had a third son, by a third man, while living with her parents with my son and her husbands son. While still legally married to him. (I know this isn't really pertinent, but it might play towards her character).

Anyways, she's lived with her parents for well over two years, more than enough time to at least attempt to reestablish yourself. She hasn't worked once in that time. The last time I posted, you said that a mother moving back home to get on her feet was normal, I listened. It's now been a LONG time, and another kid - Three kids from three dads :eek:

The current living situation
It is now: Her, My Son, Her Husband's Son, Her Third Son, Her Mother and Her Father - All living in a two bedroom condo. NONE of them get along, but her and her mother fight constantly, and violently. Over the past year and a half, my son has been asking for me more and more, wanting to talk to me, see me, stay with me, more and more. The fighting at their house is getting worse.

2009.01.26 - The first bad incident this week
Tuesday night, she called and said she was going to a hot dog eating contest at a restaurant. I find out Wednesday when I talk to her that she is in fact at a bar. It's her, her third son's father (Guy call's himself Hammer :D), his brother and his brother's girlfriend - with my eight year old son. They are in a sports bar, around 9pm, everyone is drinking or drunk except my kid (and according to his mom her)

Her husband (the cop) shows up and is angry. A ruckus breaks out. He is a city cop, and four county cops show up. My son is left at the bar area with that guy's girlfriend (she is drunk and he doesn't know her) for roughly thirty minutes (I can only imagine, terrified, confused, alone, did I mention terrified?) while the police talk to his mother and her husband. They convince her not file a restraining order as their divorce will be final soon.

The next day she tells me all of this. She said she wanted to get a protective order, but they (county cops) told her it would be pointless. She asks me if I would take a protective order out on my son's behalf against him, so he can't get near her by proxy. I'm reluctant to get involved with that, so I chalk that up to a crap situation.

2009.01.28 - The second bad incident, it's coming to a head
Thursday night, I call my son at his house to say goodnight at 930pm. He sounds distraught, timid, scared, not himself. His grandfather gets on the phone, says they are drawing him a bath and that his mother isn't there. So I call mom. She is at a friends house. She wanted to take the three kids to a funeral viewing (at 930pm :rolleyes:) And her mother objected violently (She is bat-poo insane and she enough is toxic enough to ruin my kid)

Mom started yelling at grandma, and dad stepped in. At some point according to my son's mother, grandma threw something at her. Grandpa was in her face screaming and hollering. My son, terrified, confused, vulnerable, tryied to defend his mother, found a toy gun and came out to protect mommy. Grandpa replied with a swift "Don't point that crap at me." Then she left with the middle kid and the baby, and my son didn't want to go with her.

Little background: Grandma has Hep C as well as some severe mental issues of some sort. Grandpa is on the zombie ****tail: Prozac, Lithium, Zoloft, etc.

Then I reacte
I ask her if I should go get him (She hasn't told me much at this point except that he is there and she wants me to get him), and she responds "Hell yes, you should go get him." So she calls her parents and her dad hangs up a couple of times. She calls her soon to be ex (the cop) and explains the situation. He calls me and says, "If they don't give him to you, it's kidnapping, I'm on duty, call me, and I'll show up with backup, as there have already been units out there tonight."

I call her house again when I'm a mile away to let her dad know I'm coming. He answers and is persistent that my son is OK, and there is no reason for me to come. I ask to speak to him, and say that if he agrees, I'll let him stay. My son gets on the phone and says, "Daddy, I want you to come get me right now, I'M NOT JOKING." So I show up to get him.

As soon as I walk in I say, "Look I didn't let XXXXXXXXXX tell me her side of the story, and I don't want to hear yours. My son has been through enough, your fight with your daughter is yours, I have no dog in this race, please just let me go." He insists that HIS SIDE OF THE STORY BE HEARD.

He goes on about how he and his wife are sick of her always leaving the kids there and going out (she's 34). And how they disapprove of her lifestyle. They got in a fight, and she called the cops on him (She loves calling the cops). So my son gets to witness all of this. He said essentially that she is not welcome in his house anymore, and that he's glad that my son has a stable family (mine) that he can go to.

2009.01.29 - We talk logistics
I bring him to school Friday morning.

On Friday we talked for about an hour. She was upset, but finally admitting that she realized that she had to put our kid's well being in front of her happiness. I let her know, that truly loving somebody means that you will sacrifice your happiness for theirs. I let her know that through everything, through all the drama she's caused, my only concern has always been for his well being.

She's scared he'll think she doesn't love him, and I tell her nonsense. We agree that instead of the stupid about of child support I currently pay, I will start paying his private school tuition, and put the difference into a 520 college savings plan.

I assure her that when she get's her life worked out, I'll work with her on slowly easing him back into it. I even tossed her a bit of cash for food. I explain that I'll have a lawyer draw up papers for her to sign on Monday, and then she'll just have to go agree to it in court.

We meet at his school at 310pm. She hands me bags full of his belongings. She informs me that the police were again dispatched when she went to get the kids' belongings. She hands her husband bags full of his kid's belongings. We chat for a bit and we go on our way. She stops by my house a bit later and I give her a bit more cash. She signs the petition to change his last name back to mine. I explain all of the options we have and that we can talk Monday and work it out.

2009.01.30 - BOOOOOOOOOOOM Headshot
She called me at like 8:04pm tonight. She wants him tomorrow at noon for a birthday party. I tell her that it won't work as we have plans. Then she hits me.

She's moved back in with her parents. Her husband has given his kid back to her (He never wanted that kid). And she has changed her mind. I ask her what happened to his well being, what happened to putting him first. She replied, "You aren't what's best for him. My husband said that when you met us at the school, you were so high that if he were on duty he would have arrested you."

I explain that I am tired, I had worked a 70 hour week and didn't sleep the night before because of all the drama. She persists, and starts getting belligerent. I said, "Well, we had an agreement, you can change your mind, but mine isn't changed, I guess we'll let a judge figure it out."

To which she replied, "If you think a judge will find you and your wife, who are always so high you don't know up from down fit over me, you're sadly mistaken." I politely remind her that she is slandering my name and my wife's name, and accusing her husband of doing the same.

I sent her a certified cease and desist from FedEx about the slander but haven't spoken to her yet.

My kid is DISTRAUGHT. He doesn't want to go. He was so excited, we went shopping today, he invited a friend over for his first sleep over EVER next weekend.

My wife and I don't get high, I'll urinate clean NOW. My wife and I work. She works a high stress sales job, and just had her gallbladder removed. And I work a high stress consulting job and have HORRENDOUS kidney stones.

So I ask, do I have a case? It's clear my son is better off with me.

Stable environment with parents who get along and another kid who he gets along with in a four bedroom house, with safety, peacefulness and stability.

or

Toxic environment with a mom, grandmother and grandfather who parent over each other, fight non-stop, and use the kids as tools to cause pain to each other.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
YOu won't get a restraining order against soon to be ex husband for terrifying your child and you will pee clean NOW -- when was the last time you used drugs? What type of drugs did you use? You are keeping the child against a court order or is this your weekend? Or did all this happen over a year ago and you are just NOW here?

padair

YOu won't get a restraining order against soon to be ex husband for terrifying your child and you will pee clean NOW -- when was the last time you used drugs? What type of drugs did you use? You are keeping the child against a court order or is this your weekend? Or did all this happen over a year ago and you are just NOW here?
I don't use drugs. I took pain medication in the hospital and then two days following about four days ago (actually longer than that, Monday was when I was hospitalized) for kidney stones. I've never done an illegal drug, I'm a software engineer for The Department of Homeland security with more polygraphs and clearances than half of DC.

This was my scheduled weekend for visitation. And I'm even allowing her to pick him up early because she is going to a birthday party at his friends house and I don't want to punish him.

Even though she will then drive home drunk with three kids in the car after the party, but that is besides the point, she has a friends and family badge.

This all happened last week. She is picking him up in fifteen minutes, against my better judgment but as I said, punishing him and not allowing him to go to his friends house because she is nuts would be pretty hypocritical of me, and legally she gets him back at 6pm anyways.

Last edited:

padair

She brought the drug angle up during the original custody hearing. I passed twelve random tests over a period of twelve months. She has two things she can do.

1. Call the police.
2. Say that everyone is using drugs.

When she is a recovered crack addict and on more tranquilizers and benzodiazapenes than Mount Sanai. But me spreading rumors here accomplishes nothing so I will stop.

Isis1

I don't use drugs. I took pain medication in the hospital and then two days following about four days ago (actually longer than that, Monday was when I was hospitalized) for kidney stones. I've never done an illegal drug, I'm a software engineer for The Department of Homeland security with more polygraphs and clearances than half of DC.

This was my scheduled weekend for visitation. And I'm even allowing her to pick him up early because she is going to a birthday party at his friends house and I don't want to punish him.

Even though she will then drive home drunk with three kids in the car after the party, but that is besides the point, she has a friends and family badge.

This all happened last week. She is picking him up in fifteen minutes, against my better judgment but as I said, punishing him and not allowing him to go to his friends house because she is nuts would be pretty hypocritical of me, and legally she gets him back at 6pm anyways.

excuse me. are you being serious??? :confused:

padair

excuse me. are you being serious??? :confused:
She's drinking more often than not during the week, and has a suspicious number of late night speeding tickets, but hasn't had a DUI since she married the cop a few years ago.

Before that, she had three DUI's in a three week period and had no license for over four years.

I can't very well follow her everywhere she goes to ensure she doesn't get behind the wheel drunk with my son in the car.

padair

I just dug around court records, and her lovely mother got a ticket about eight months ago.

Speeding (just shy of reckless), Seatbelt Violation, and TWO Unrestrained Children tickets.

I wonder who those children were, she only had two at the time and no matter how many times I told them both that he needed to be in a car seat, they wouldn't listen.

Nobody has answered my question though :( Can I pursue this or will it simply be more money wasted?

Isis1

She's drinking more often than not during the week, and has a suspicious number of late night speeding tickets, but hasn't had a DUI since she married the cop a few years ago.

Before that, she had three DUI's in a three week period and had no license for over four years.

I can't very well follow her everywhere she goes to ensure she doesn't get behind the wheel drunk with my son in the car.
so, you'd rather risk your son's life? geez. 3 dui's in a week? how long ago was this?

with a record like that, i'd request the mother never be allowed to drive anywhere with the child and request that i do all the transportation!

padair

so, you'd rather risk your son's life? geez. 3 dui's in a week? how long ago was this?

with a record like that, i'd request the mother never be allowed to drive anywhere with the child and request that i do all the transportation!
Like ten years ago. No, I would not rather risk my son's life. But as I stated, she gets him at six anyways, and he would have ended up over at the same party, and ridden home with her in the same truck regardless of if I let him go now, so he could spend time with his friends, or I let him go at six, and punished him because I'm upset at her.

She is married to a cop, they are getting divorced, but he is still very much in love with her and does anything she asks. I cannot follow her around all day every day to ensure she never endangers my son.

1. I have a job.
2. She would have me arrested for whatever charge she could convince him to arrest me for.

Isis1

Like ten years ago. No, I would not rather risk my son's life. But as I stated, she gets him at six anyways, and he would have ended up over at the same party, and ridden home with her in the same truck regardless of if I let him go now, so he could spend time with his friends, or I let him go at six, and punished him because I'm upset at her.

She is married to a cop, they are getting divorced, but he is still very much in love with her and does anything she asks. I cannot follow her around all day every day to ensure she never endangers my son.

1. I have a job.
2. She would have me arrested for whatever charge she could convince him to arrest me for.
how about offering to pick up the child at mom's party place so when the child leaves, you know he is leaving safely with you? maybe mention that mom can stay later and hang out with her friends afterwards. make it sound like a favor to mom.

padair

how about offering to pick up the child at mom's party place so when the child leaves, you know he is leaving safely with you? maybe mention that mom can stay later and hang out with her friends afterwards. make it sound like a favor to mom.
Because she does not want me around when it is not my scheduled visitation. That's why her parents kicked her out in the first place, she is out literally EVERY SINGLE NIGHT.

I have another son and a wife, I can't make a full time job out of tracking his mother and ensuring she isn't endangering him. I shouldn't have to, the courts should have realized she was a POS the first two times I took her there. If he was with me, then this wouldn't be an issue.

Isis1

Because she does not want me around when it is not my scheduled visitation. That's why her parents kicked her out in the first place, she is out literally EVERY SINGLE NIGHT.

I have another son and a wife, I can't make a full time job out of tracking his mother and ensuring she isn't endangering him. I shouldn't have to, the courts should have realized she was a POS the first two times I took her there. If he was with me, then this wouldn't be an issue.
course not. okay. you're child isn't THAT important. carry on....

AkersTile

So I suppose your wife and your other child would think it better for you to get the phone call from the cops that your son is dead because his mom was drunk and wrecked the car than for you to do WHATEVER YOU POSSIBLY CAN to try to protect him? :confused::confused::confused:

If you know mom will be drunk and she doesn't want you around, don't be around. Park a few houses down from where she's at. When she leaves drunk, with child in vehicle, call the cops. Unless of course your child is not worth some lack of sleep. :rolleyes:

padair

course not. okay. you're child isn't THAT important. carry on....
not THAT important? I'm having my lawyer sign an emergency order and file it on Monday. I just took out a loan to pay him. I'd say his safety is my number one priority. I have three number one priorities, him, my other son and my wife, all being safe. It would literally be a full time job to follow her around everywhere and ensure she never drinks and drives with my son. She doesn't work, drinks during the day, drinks almost every night, leaves the kids home with her parents - or brings them with her. I simply do not have the resources to make that my full time job.

I'm just hoping these circumstances will be enough to give the attorney I just signed a five thousand dollar retainer over to enough ammunition to finally get my son into a safe environment.

padair

So I suppose your wife and your other child would think it better for you to get the phone call from the cops that your son is dead because his mom was drunk and wrecked the car than for you to do WHATEVER YOU POSSIBLY CAN to try to protect him? :confused::confused::confused:

If you know mom will be drunk and she doesn't want you around, don't be around. Park a few houses down from where she's at. When she leaves drunk, with child in vehicle, call the cops. Unless of course your child is not worth some lack of sleep. :rolleyes:
1. I have no clue where she is.
2. Her police officer husband will be with her.
3. He doesn't like me and has threatened me before, I don't need to get shot for "stalking" or some nonsense.

I would have to put a GPS device in her car to know where she is at all times, she hasn't worked in eight years and pretty much lives whatever life she wants.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">