• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

change in material circumstance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

swinscoe17

What is the name of your state? ca
the cp of my two children has a job @ 24.00/hr. -He does not go because hed rather sit at home on the computer. the police were called 2 days ago by the neighbor because he was seen leaving w/o the children(6-4yrs). now he is talking of going on welfare so he doesnt have to go to work at all. If he is fired due to his own stupidity and chooses welfare, in the state of Ca.......1- can i change custody orders? 2- would i have to pay child support when its not in the current divorce papers? We have 50/50 all the way- he has residental.

My opinion. Take it back to court. Explain that dad is going on welfare, and if you had the kids living with you. You wouldn't be on welfare therefore not a burden to the state. I can't believe someone would do that. You would do yourself some good by getting a copy of the police report.

Why does he has residential custody of the kids? Do you have a stable home where they could live if you were to get residential? You would need to show proof. Show that you wouldn't leave them home alone, provide a name, address and phone number of a daycare provider. Write up a schedule of visitation. If he's got a problem with a computer... maybe he should limit the computer time while the children are with him.

What is the current visitation schedule? The split is 50/50, how is that broken up?
Can you offer to take the kids maybe so he can get his stuff together?

Look in the phone book, attorney's offer free consultations. Just finding one is the chore. Call several, talk to several. If you can afford to hire one, GREAT! If not, get as much info out of them as you can. Sometimes they'll even tell you what to file and maybe what to expect.

Good Luck
Cookie

Bre's_mom

You could also call the court house and see if there is a self help room. And look up the website for cal. courts and see if there are the forms you need that you can download.. Hope this helps:p ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">