• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

change of physical custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lightmypath

teen boy Chris wants to move in with dad to satisfy curiosity, but only wants to live with dad for 1 school year, mother Lee wants to know how to protect the custody rights, claiming on taxes, child support, and all other agreements per divorce decree. Father wants custody and the right to claim son on income tax and become resident of the state he lives in. He also wants to cut child support in half. What are my rights as the custodial parent? how am i to deal with the lawyer of his choice not sure how to handle this since he lives out of state. is there a chance of losing total custody if i agree to anything? please reply.

thanks

D

dorenephilpot

If you don't want to agree to a custody change, then your ex has to take you to court to get a change.

In Indiana, if your child is age 14 or over, he has a say in where he lives, as far as the court is concerned. I don't know what the law is in your state.

Otherwise, in Indiana, he would have to prove you unfit to wrest custody from you.

The primary custodial parent is generally the one who has the tax deduction, although you two can AGREE otherwise.

Hope this helps!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">