• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Changes in visitation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BroncosMom

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

Hi there. My ex-husband has had 100% placement while I've been traveling for work. I have been paying full child support for that. I'm moving back to the area now and would like to have shared placement. Is it possible to change the order? If I have shared placement can I stop paying child support? He is going to fight me on the placement, but I will be having them 1/2 the time without any legal arrangement. Would it be best to do that for 6 months before going back to court? Should I get a lawyer or try and do it myself? I'm so concerned I will have to keep paying child support while I have them 1/2 of the time.

Silverplum

Hi there. My ex-husband has had 100% placement while I've been traveling for work. I have been paying full child support for that. I'm moving back to the area now and would like to have shared placement. Is it possible to change the order? If I have shared placement can I stop paying child support? He is going to fight me on the placement, but I will be having them 1/2 the time without any legal arrangement. Would it be best to do that for 6 months before going back to court? Should I get a lawyer or try and do it myself? I'm so concerned I will have to keep paying child support while I have them 1/2 of the time.
http://www.wisbar.org/forpublic/ineedinformation/pages/child-support-residential-custody-placement.aspx

stealth2

Under the Radar Member

What does your most current order state regarding parenting time? How do you know you'll have 50/50 placement?

BroncosMom

My most current order is 100% placement with their father because I haven't lived in state. I am HOPING to get 50/50 placement because I moved to their town now and will be able to have them 50% of the time, but my ex-husband says he is going to fight me on that. I'm hoping that since I now live in the same city that I will be able to get placement to 50/50 and I am not sure how to proceed to do that on my own and if it's best advised I get a lawyer.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
My most current order is 100% placement with their father because I haven't lived in state. I am HOPING to get 50/50 placement because I moved to their town now and will be able to have them 50% of the time, but my ex-husband says he is going to fight me on that. I'm hoping that since I now live in the same city that I will be able to get placement to 50/50 and I am not sure how to proceed to do that on my own and if it's best advised I get a lawyer.
My mantra tends to be - if you have to ask if you need a lawyer? You do.

How long have the kids been living with Dad? Do you live w/in their current school district? If not, how far do you live?

LdiJ

You cannot count on a 50/50 placement. You have a decent shot at some form of shared custody but if dad is not in agreement your odds of 50/50 would be slim.

Even with 50/50 placement the higher earning parent generally pays some child support.

BroncosMom

My mantra tends to be - if you have to ask if you need a lawyer? You do.

How long have the kids been living with Dad? Do you live w/in their current school district? If not, how far do you live?
Yes I live in their school district and they have had placement with their dad for the last 4 years and I have had them every other weekend for the last 6 months.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Yes I live in their school district and they have had placement with their dad for the last 4 years and I have had them every other weekend for the last 6 months.
OK. So what has changed in the circumstances of the children's lives that indicates 50/50 is better for than than the current time-share?

BroncosMom

OK. So what has changed in the circumstances of the children's lives that indicates 50/50 is better for than than the current time-share?
I have them 50/50 now that I live in the same city where it used to be that I would only see them 2 times a month because I lived out of state. They are happy to be with me 50% of the time now and come over as often as they want, even more than 50%. I just would like it to be legal that I have placement 50% of the time so I can stop paying so much in child support.

Silverplum

I have them 50/50 now that I live in the same city where it used to be that I would only see them 2 times a month because I lived out of state. They are happy to be with me 50% of the time now and come over as often as they want, even more than 50%. I just would like it to be legal that I have placement 50% of the time so I can stop paying so much in child support.

Your story changes like the weather, and I don't like it.

If you were a Dad, there would be a pack of responses shrieking at you about the child support issue and the assumption that you can whoop into town and take 50% of the childrens' time. :rolleyes:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Your story changes like the weather, and I don't like it.

If you were a Dad, there would be a pack of responses shrieking at you about the child support issue and the assumption that you can whoop into town and take 50% of the childrens' time. :rolleyes:
I was just about to point out the disparity between those two posts.

And *I* would be asking a Dad the same questions...

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You are not going to be able to lower your child support just because you moved into town. You made decisions that resulted in living in a different state than your children. How old are they? Why do you believe your wants are the presiding/predominant factor?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member

Let's add the bolded. ARE you moving to their area, or HAVE you moved? DO you have them 50-50 or WILL you or would you LIKE to? Let's work on consistency.

But yes, I would say that you NEED a lawyer. Yesterday.

Ok if getting 50/50 means that much to you why are you even worrying about the support issue right now. Talk to an attorney and try and get a game plan and let things roll for a while and see what dad allow's so you can keep track of dates and times ect to establish that 50/50 or close to it has been done for x amount of time. I am not a legal person but I do know when I moved over an hour away they considered it a change of circumstance. Are you required to file and intent to relocate with the court and did you? You and dad really have to get along and work together for 50/50 to be in the best interest of your children.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">