• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Changing a childs name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

banajb123

Columbus, Ohio can I change the last name of my child to my last name without notifying the childs father. I have sole custody of the child.

H

Howto?

NO~You can file for a name change but the father has every right to contest it. After all the child is his too. No matter weather he pays support, has visitation, whatever-this man is this childs blood and he has certain rights unless he is proven unfit or something like that.
Why would you want to change this childs last name? It is normal for a child to have his fathers last name!

C

charlene lamm

why should a child have his fathers last name, i am single and my child and me have the same last name, father and i were never married, and it is easier for me for my child tohave my last name, father is active and he doesn't seem to mind, this is 2001, some married women do not take their husbands last name so why should the child of a single mother

S

starsscout100

name change

Talk to an attorney and explain the situation. Much will depend on how much contact the father has with the son. If you absolutely cannot change the name legally and the father is not around perhaps you can change it socially. Talk to the administration of your sons school.They might agree to use your name in school if it is in his best interest. I think a childs emotional welfare and happiness is more important than a man being able to pass on his name. You might consider a compromise and hyphenate the two names. Just add yours on at the end it is easier than moving and inserting.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">